Question for KIRBY...........

mindcrime

As you may remember, I have a CZ550 Safari Magnum just waiting to be converted from a .416 Rigby to the .338 AE.......it even has a 3.850" magazine well from the factory!!! It would have to be a true repeater, of course, because it is a Mauser action, with a huge claw extractor.....NO single feeding. Also the bolt lugs are HUGE so that the bolt thrust that the Remington action has to contend with will be child's play with the big CZ Safari Magnum action.

Trying to decide on a STOCK right now........McMillian can build me either a Baker Special, McHale, or a A5 (however the magazine would stick down 1/8" on all but the Baker, which isn't truly a problem). I have a liking to the A5 with it's prone inspired design. I also have a Tubb Extra Heavy Duty Rem 700 style recoil lug, sitting on the shelf, that I'd like added in addition to the Mauser's action lug, to have rock solid bedding.

Barrel length is TBD. At least a HV 27", but I am considering a 34 inch ABS composite barrel with a Mike Rock 5R as the base barrel (kinda wondering if the barrel life would be any better). Of course I could afford THREE 27" HVs compared to ONE 34" ABS. I'd like to also have the Holland QD Brake that I also have on my quick twist .266" 6mm Ackley, Rem700.

I guess my main question to you is rather your reamer is a tight-neck design, or more like a .338 Lapua MATCH reamer??? I don't mind neck turning, however I am wondering "IF" the neck would be strong enough to remain concentric being pushed up the ramp, into the extractor, and into the chamber from the magazine well. Feel free to comment on my stock choices, as well as barrel choices. This will be a carry-able, bipoded Elk Cannon rifle (and one reason I am truly considering a ABS barrel!). I'll also use it for paper, JFYI.

THANKS PAL!

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff,
Your ABS barrel will be heavy. I have a 30 inch on a M70 action that weighs 14 lbs. It is a Rock 5R 6mm. The carbon wrap isn't a weight saver but is supposed to help disapate heat.

That receiver should be fine for length. May not feed terribly well as a CRF receiver does not particularly like sharp shoulder, large shoulder diameter rounds but I am sure it could be made to function properly.

Barrel, I would never hang that long of a barrel off a CZ personally. 30" would be my limit. Anything much over 30 and your really dealing with a VERY long barrel, plus, if you add a brake to that you really get long. Not really practical for anything but a dedicted sit and shoot rifle.

The 338 AX does amazingly well without a really long barrel. I have been amazed what it will do in a 27" barrel. IT will easily match the much larger 338-378 in any barrel length with same bullet weight.

Remember that a shorter barrel will also produce less barrel whip as well.

If McMillan will inlet the A-5 for it that is what I would go with personally but its my personal favorite stock design so I am a bit bias. If you have another model you prefer, that is what you should go with.

On the reamer. I build big game rifles, not bench rifles. I see no place for a tight necked chamber in the field where just a slight bit of dust will cause all kinds of problems with the rifle function.

That said, my necks are set up to offer a quality, accurate neck fit without the need to turn necks which I really do not like doing. With the Lapua cases, I have found very little need to turn them anyway.

If the 350 gr SMK become readily available, you may want to consider the 375 AX instead. The big SMK is very accurate and you would have legit 378 Wby performance at least. YOu would also get longer barrel life then with the 338 AX if you plan on shooting alot of paper.

Not quite as potent ballistically as the 338 but very close and has a larger frontal area bullet which is always great for heavy game at long range. Just another option to consider.

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks for that info about the ABS barrels, Buffalo............

KIRBY, I like the idea of the .375 AX, and McMillian WILL inlet the A5 for the CZ550 Safari action---I've already asked. ;^)

I have also had "reservations", shall we say about the sharp shoulder on the .338 AX, however with the length of the bullet, it should help it feed properly. Nice to know that I can just go with a heavily fluted HV profile barrel in the 27-30" range. Still waiting for the .375 Sierra Matchking to show its head, and to compare ballistics to the 300 grain, .338 caliber Sierra Matchking with equal "boiler rooms."

Kirby, as you know, I love Bigbores, and actually shoot my CZ550 in .416 Rigby PRONE off of a Harris Bipod (I'm NOT kidding y'all!). Without any muzzle brake, it makes for some dramatic shooting I can assure you!!! LMAO!!!

Here it is in its current .416 Rigby form (27" barrel) with its factory sights and rear sight block meticulously removed, sandblasted, and reblued ALL by ME (of course I intend to add a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 R2 or R1 as the project comes to its finale---YES, I know, I need HIGHER rings.), and I also intend to add a Badger bolt handle:

100_0313.jpg

One more question KIRBY......Do you think that you could "adapt" a .338 Lapua Wilson Hand die (neck and seating) with your reamer??? I like the ability to load at the range, and I tend to neck size only after the initial fireforming.

I have a 30" .338 ABS/Rock carbon wrapped barrel w/titanium muzzle brake and the barrel weighs just under 5#'s.
It's around .900" at the muzzle and a regular S/S barrel of this contour and length would weigh approx.7#'s so you do save some weight with the carbon wrapped barrels.

Wayne aka WAMBO

I have a 30" .338 ABS/Rock carbon wrapped barrel w/titanium muzzle brake and the barrel weighs just under 5#'s.
It's around .900" at the muzzle and a regular S/S barrel of this contour and length would weigh approx.7#'s so you do save some weight with the carbon wrapped barrels.

Wayne aka WAMBO

Thanks Wayne! I still have to justify the price though. =^O

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.