Question for Kirby

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by winmagman, Dec 19, 2006.

1. winmagman

winmagman Well-Known Member

Kirby
    I was reading a post in the specialty handgun section where you mentioned you were thinking about ordering a 6.5 wssm reamer. What specs are you thinking of, especially shoulder angle and neck diameter?

I have a rifle in 6.5 wssm based on the 25 wssm case (30* shoulder) with a .303 neck which requires light neck turning and I'm kicking around a custom pistol of some sort in the same caliber, just don't really want to have to neck turn for it.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

2. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

Winmagman,

I have done the neck turning thing enough that I do not like it much anymore. As such, I design my reamers so that they are min spec to an unturned neck. Generally around 1.5 thou total clearance. This way if a customer wanted to take a light clean up cut on the neck they could and still have a quality neck fit.

Otherwise, dimentionally it would be identical to a 25 WSSM reamer with perhaps a bit tighter body section but thats it. Nothing exotic here. The idea would be to make a round that you could cold form brass for and load full tilt loads out of virgin case with fine accuracy.

I think in an XP or similiar strength handgun, the WSSM case has as much if not more value then in a rifle. Just my opinion of course but in the shorter barreled handgun world, usible barrel length is the name of the game and the WSSM would be very hard to beat.

I also have played with a design using the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat Bullet and making a BR type case off this round. Would be equally impressive in an XP.

Good Shooting

Kirby Allen(50)