Question for Fiftydriver or the machinest

Aussie

Could either of you please advise whether the Lawton 7000 short action will accept the Wyatt extended magazine box without modification ? Will be building a .243 Ackley and want to be able to seat VLD projectiles out to the lands . Can't do this with the standard length Remington magazine .
Tossing up between Lawton 7000 and Stiller Predator and this is likely to be the deciding factor . The Stiller will take the Wyatt .
Have been impressed with what Kirby has had to say about the Lawton in all other respects and will likely go that way if possible .

I can't speek from experiance but from what I understand the Lawton 7000 is a long action and it accepts all Rem parts so unless I'm wrong eys it will work but if it is a long action your not gonna need an extended box for the 243 anyhow.

I have not yet used a Lawton M7000 short action yet but I have looked into fitting the long action with a Wyatts extended magazine box, the 3.820" model.

THe concern I had was that the Lawton has the side mounted bolt release instead of the underlever type that the Rem 700 uses. With the Rem 700 that bolt stop can me milled back so that you can really get alot of increase in bolt throw and can use even the really long 3.910" length mag boxes.

With the Lawton, you do not have that much meat in the bolt stop to allow it to be milled back to that extent but from my measurements, it looks like it should be able to handle the 3.820" length box easily, just not the really long one.

With that information, I would suspect that the short action should be able to be modified for the SA Wyatts but I would recommend you find out from the source first.

Again, I would say cautiously that it should work.

Kirby Allen(50)

My first question would be is the short action long enough to facilitate the unloading and clearing of a live round?
Specifically, port length.

The ones in the magazine are relatively easy, just open the floor plate and they fall out.

I'd hate to think that you'd have to drop your bolt out every time to get the chambered round cleared.

Kirby ,
On the Stiller website it mentions that they will accept extended Wyatt and I think HS magazine boxes.
Chad ,
Shouldn't be any drama ejecting live .243AI rounds, even with VLD's . The Remington will do that OK .

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts