Question for any Smith’s on custom build up.

Tommy ,

I hear ya.... just checkin....

as far as breaks.. hell I have had em all.... the quietest to the shooter .. OPS Inc. by far... best one out there for prone work... Badger.. especially after he made the ports bigger....

338... man i dunno... if your gonna do a 338.. go Lapua... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
do you really think you need a 338 for PA deer ? Especially if you are only shooting Med. range?

Just a thought.. that sure is a cannon for 150lb deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

338 lupua /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif after what you said before /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I just want what every man wants. An accurate, sharp looking, light weight cannon with good fit and finish to run around the woods and blast critters with.

I just figured after looking at your arsenal... if you're gonna go 338 get a lapua /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
I'd also drop Chris Matthews an e-mail. He's build several rifles for guys in your neighboring area... might be able to check a rifle out first hand....
Ever thought of a WSM in 338? you want small and light ... you can build it on a SA...

Ric, the Lapua would be cool to have but a bit pricy for my blood. The cases alone will put me in the poor house /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif The 300 RUM case is big enough for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif 338 WSM Now you might be on to something I diden't think of that one. The more I think about it that would work really nice. Only problem is I would need to find a stainless SA reciver and I could keep my beloved 7mm mag. I could neck up the 8mm WSM brass it would be easy my whole mind set just changed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Damm you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif lol

the 338 rum can give you all what a 338 lapua can do and the brass is cheaper and your mag bolt face will work. the 338 lapua brass cost more and you would need to have your bolt face opened up. because the 338 lapua rim is bigger then the mag case. www.parrysgunsmithing.com

Tommy,

yeah the $ is the only reason I havn't built a 338 lapua yet...yet....

I know there are some SS Rem 700 SA actions out there, bet if you looked hard enough you'd find an action from a Rem. SAUM
The 338WSM would fall just a hair short of the 338win mag perfromance but not buy a whole lot.. just like the 300WSM falls just short of the 300WSM performance but your doing really well to 500yards!!! And that falls withing your 300 yard requirement.

you mentioned light and smaller rifle.... well the SA needs to be considered.. sorry for the confusion... ok no I am not....hehehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Matthews has built me several WSM's on a Rem SA he has it down to a science [email protected]

have fun with your re-thinking... hell that IS half the fun right... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ware to look for the reciver at? Ric I sent Chris an email early this morning when I got home from work.

Yes the 338 WSM is a great little round but it would be a waste of teh receiver length in the standard Rem 700. IT would work but why not just go with the Win Mag as it will feed better and give 100 fps more velocity.

I have an XP-100 handgun in the 338 WSM and it is a great round, in the 15" barrel I get 2900 fps with the 180 gr BT and 2700 with the 200 gr pills. Still, for the receiver being used, the Win mag would be a better fit, Hell, the 338 RUM would be a better fit as this would be easy to chamber in this receiver.

It is true, the 338 RUM will nearly match the Lapua in performance and the 338-300 RUM WILL match or slightly exceed it. Brass quality is not as high but in a sporter weight rifle for big game hunting it is plenty quality for fine accuracy and much less costly.

I'm getting +1000 yard consistancy with my Allen Mags using RUM brass so I am not overly concerned about the quality of the brass.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

TommyB, I read what said about a 338 being loaded down to 160 grain bullets. Forget it!
You really don't want to go lighter than 225 grain. They will be all over the place as far as accuaracy goes.
If you go with a slower twist to stabilze lighter bullets then you suffer with the heavy bullets. If you do go with a 338 caliber find a good load with a 225 or 250 and stick with it. The 225 accubond might be a good choice for your work.

I agree with Ric 110% about the WSM. The WSM has great ballistics, and recoil is more tolerable. I didn't think they made it in 338 WSM. I think its a 325 WSM. I haven't heard anything about that caliber. I think the 300 WSM is a nice caliber. But you seem set on the 338. That's ok, I don't own a 30 cal either. I actually have a 338 Lapua.

Remember the old Nissan 280ZX commercials "You really don't need to go zero to 60 in 8.6 seconds, but knowing you could is awesome!"
That's what the 338 for whitetail and black bear is like.
It is awesome!

The best cailber for what you want:
Lightweight
Accuracte to 300 yards for WT and Bear.
Great bullet selection
....a good old .308
But that's not the 280ZX

Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.