Question for any Smith’s on custom build up.

sure shot

I will be replacing the BBL on my Rem 700 lss 7mm mag soon. I would like to get the action trued and fitted with a good custom fluted Barrel I was thinking Lilja or Pac-nor. I would like some recommendations on barrels, contours, and fluting because a have no experience with the customs. Also need some trigger options. This will be a medium range mountain hunting rig so I want to keep the weight down. I like thumbhole stocks so I'm thinking H-S Precision, the McMillan's are nice but I don't think they offer a thumbhole. I want to rechamber in 338 win mag. I also have a badger bolt knob I would like installed and possibly a muzzle brake with a thread protector. I would like a round about price on what this type of build will cost parts and labor. Thanks in advance.

1. What is medium range?
2. What weight bullets are you intended to shoot, this will necessitate what twist barrel you will need?
3. What do you want the length of the barrel to be?
4. What are you willing to accept for weight of rifle?
5. What weight of pull for the trigger, this will either mean keeping the factory trigger or upgrading.

Accurizing an action should run between 100 to 300 depending on smith used.

Without knowing the barrel weight your willing to accept a barrel can run between 240 to 280, with fluting add another 100 to 150.
Custom triggers can run between $80 to $220 or around $30 or so to tune a factory trigger.
The rifle stocks I am not sure of the pricing and someone else will no doubt give you better prices but you get the idea that this project can run $600 to $1000. I am thinking that the HS thumbhole will run between $220 and $330 and thats a rough estimate.
It aint cheap but what you will get is 100 times better than a factory rifle and will perform moa or better accuracy.

Range 400 max but more like 200, 250
Bullet weight 185 to 250 1 in 10 twist I guess.
BBL lenght 24' or 26' if I go with a brake I will prob go with 24
7 1/2lb scoped would be nice.
The factory rem trigger is set to 3 1/4lb now

Tommy B,

I would recommend a 24" #5 Lilja stainless fluted with Dans heavy 50 BMG style flutes.

McMillan does offer a thumbhole, it is the Lazzeroni model which can be inletted for a Rem 700 easily, not a problem.

I did not realize H-S offered a thumbhole in a sporter stock. If its their tactical thumbhole this stock is not light. In fact the Boyds Laminate thumbhole sporter is lighter then this stock and once it is pillar bedded and the barrel floated extremely stable as well.

That along with a fully accurized Rem 700 receiver and the addition of an aftermarket match grade recoil lug, I use Holland or Badger Ord recoil lugs, you would have a very stable, light weight rifle.

The Rem factory triggers can generally be tuned down to 2.5 to 2 3/4 lbs with consistancy and total safety. If you want lighter then that which I do not recommend on a light weight big game rifle, I would go with an aftermarket trigger.

I would recommend a Holland QD muzzle brake as well as these are the most efficent brakes I have used that are designed for the needs of a big game hunter.

If your interested in my prices for such work drop me an e-mail at [email protected]

Generally my customers tell me what they want in the rifle and I order all the componants so they do not have to deal with that aspect of the adventure as it can be a bit intimidating for someone not used to ordering componants.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

mailing it will be less than paying pa sales tax.mine is on its way back from him.drop him a e-mail,you won't be disappointed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby I was waiting for you to respond. I liked the factory laminated stock that this rifle came with something like it with a thumbhole would work for me. The HS sporter was the stock I was looking at But I can't tell if I like it by the pic on the web site. I'm going to shoot you an email for details on the build up. I'm at work right now so it may not be until tomarrow. thanks

I use to live in PA as well.. Coopersburg.. not from where you are... can I ask a "?"

do you really think you need a 338 for PA deer ? Especially if you are only shooting Med. range?

Just a thought.. that sure is a cannon for 150lb deer.

but hey if thats what ya want mroe power to ya... literally... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tommy,

E-mail has been returned to your home address you listed on your e-mail.

The Boyds Thumbhole is a great stock. It is probably slightly heavier then an H-S sporter stock but not by much. I personally like the warmer feel of a Laminated wood stock compared to a synthetic and just think they balance a bit better but thats just a personal preference.

I do like the Thumbhole Sporter stocks, Have them on alot of my personal rifles and ship alot of them out to customers. They are a bit bulkier then a classic sporter but they really help in controling recoil and just seem to feel better to shoot because of the more vertical grip angle.

Here are a few pics of My Extreme Sporters with the Boyds Thumbhole. These are long barreled sporters so yours would be much more compact, just give you an idea of what the stock would look like in an actual rifle.

241891.jpg

292944.jpg

This is my 257 Allen Magnum on a range test to confirm drop to 800 yards before going on my Fallow deer hunt this last spring. This is a 10 1/4 lb rifle as it sits but it also has a 30" non fluted #6 contour barrel with a relatively large scope on it. Fluting with the 50 BMG flutes alone will drop the rifle weight to 9.5 lbs.

Your project would be a much lighter rifle then one of these long range Extreme Sporters.

241894.jpg

This is basically the same rifle design again in a 257 Allen Mag but with stainless receiver and Pepper Colored stock just so you can see the difference.

For the ultimate in light weight a quality composite stock is almost impossible to beat as far as weight is concerned so please keep that in mind. Compared to a Laminate thumbhole sporter you would probably drop another 1/2 lb with an H-S sporter stock.

I do like the H-S sporters, especially in my conventional Extreme Sporter rifles which is what yours would basically be. They balance very well with the shorter sub-26" barrels and are a pleasure to carry all day.

Dispite what H-S says on their web site, their stocks will shoot better after being bedded. This is a simple fact and every one I use is bedded to produce the finest consistancy available.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Tommy -- im about 3h away if you want to come to the center of the state and strech the legs of that 7mm

on a mag boltface, id stick with a 7RSAUM

that will do all you need to 600yds+ for our deer.

It is ashame you have a mag boltface, as a 308 or 7-08 will cover the needs you mention

JB

Tommy B, the rifle you are describing sounds alot like a rifle that I am doing for a customer. This rifle is a LA Rem m700, Hs Precision thumbhole sporter stock in spruce green web. Pac-nor ulta lite contour barrel in 7RUM 28" finished length + vais removable brake. 4.5-14x40lr scope. He is taking it on a sheep hunt in Idaho this fall and wants it light. We are planning on a 7.75lb finished weight. BTW, I realy like the feel and the fit of the HS thumbhole sporter stock. It makes a great platform for a LR hunting rifle.
Check out my website www.precisionshootingsports.com or email me at [email protected].

Thanks, LiteTac

Tommy, 1 piece of advice.
Be sure you want/need a muzzle brake!
They are REAL loud.

I do not personally like them. You may want to stick with the 7mm for what your hunting. I don't think the recoil is that bad on a 338 win mag that a brake is required. YMMV

Have you considered going inbetween with a 300 Win Mag?
The 300WM with a 180 accubond with a BC of 507 would be great for deer or black bear. Recoil would be similar to what you're shooting now so you could avoid the brake.

Kirby, The pepper Boyds looks just like the factory laminated stock that I like that's on the rifle now with a thumbhole. I like it.

Ric, I know I don't need a 338 to kill deer but the 338 is a very versatile caliber it can be loaded with 160gr slugs up to 300gr. plus I already have rifles in 223, 243, 25-06, 7-08, 7mm mag and 300 Rum so 338 fits right in my battery.

Jb1000br, I don't mine driving to do some long range work on some woodchucks if that's what you had in mine ware at in PA are ya? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

John M I know all about Muzzle brakes the 7mm mag in question has a KDF on it. WHAT, WHAT, What did you say, I can't hear you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.