Question for 7mm Rem shooters

Magnus

My first custom gun is nearing completion, 700rem with a 28 shilen barrel, standard varmint, 1:9 twist,hs stock, Near base and rings, 8.5-25x50 Leopy. Im looking at shooting the Berger 168VDLs with Nosler brass. Looking to see if any of you guys have shoot this bullet gun combonation with results! Take it easy on me as this is my first custom gun, after seeing Beyond Belief hunting video I thought the 7mmRem was the way to go..LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wish I would of knew about this site before I place my order, first thing I would of done would be giving Fiftydriver my order based on what you guys have said, Ive learned allot
Thanks for an awesome site and your help!!

All depends on what you are going to shoot at with the gun. There are a lot of 7mm bullets and with the variety of animals in Alaska one would perhaps have several different bullets. Heavy bone breaking bullets for moose and some high BC bullets for caribou.

While not the most accurate bullet ever made the old standby Nosler partition is always a good choice for up close and personal work. The newer Accubonds are usually accurate in the 7mm calibers and the BC is very good for a hunting style bullet. I have not ever shot nor sectioned the Berger 168s but my understanding is they have a thin jacket and if I was going to a match bullet in 7mm I think I would try the 175 SMK ( infact I have and will). If your gunsmith has not throated the gun yet then you really need to consider exactly what you want to shoot with the gun and the bearing surface of the bullets you will use and inform the gunsmith.

This is going to be my target gun, the barrel alone weighs over 7lbs. The 7mm will only be used for shooting milk jugs and targets on a bench for fun not competion. Will try to get to 1000yrds. Its not the best cal. I could of got but, live and learn. My 300wby with 180TSX going 3260fps is my Alaska gun and has taken almost everything up here, longest shot was on a caribou at 568 yard. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1000 yards is not stretching it for a 7 mag. You can get to 1000 with a lot less even, thats for sure. Your 7 rem will probly serve you great. My dad just bought a tikka t3 lite in 7 mag. I worked up 2 loads with a 150g BTip before it put the next 4 shots into .45" at 100 yards. I told him to try some 168g Bergers as I am into the longer range stuff and target/match bullets than he is. Anyways, we have not loaded any yet, but with a BC of .640-650 cant member exactly, at around 2900fps, it will be a great 1000 yard target load. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.