Question: Body die vs modified full length die

Jimm, because of the taper on the case body, the shoulder is basically the last part of the case to be "Resized" or bumped back in a body die. Once you have got to the point of bumping the shoulder back, the whole body/head of the case has been sized to FL spec.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
I have a Lee colllet die, but find that the Redding bushing dies gives me less runout. Loaded ammo has runout between 0.00 and 0.001 on a dial gauge , using the redding die.

Thomas ,

As you probably already know the trend is to " full length resize " for best accuracy . What is left out of this statement is the " minimal " part of the fl resize . The Redding body dies should not size as fully a s say for instance RCBS fl dies .

If you want to step up to a different plate have Mr. Carstensen modify a set of dies using several fired cases from your rifle to create a die that is only minimally resized full length while setting the shoulder back a smidge ( I have one for my .300 Win Mag . They are neck bushing dies that use std Redding neck bushings .

BTW , my $ 19.00 Lee collet dies produce .001 to .0015 runout and the full length of the neck is sized . Perhaps a selling point for " short Neck " cases but for me the ease of use is too cool.

Jim B.

Jimm, my name isn't Thomas for nothing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Seeing is believing..
I have a RCBS FL die and the Redding body die - will size up 2 cases and do some measuring at the head, middle of body and body shoulder junction. Thanks for info.
Getting hold of Mr Carstensen is going to be a problem, seeing as I am in South Africa and he is probably in the States.

[ QUOTE ]
As you probably already know the trend is to " full length resize " for best accuracy . What is left out of this statement is the " minimal " part of the fl resize . The Redding body dies should not size as fully a s say for instance RCBS fl dies .

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice.

I found that rifle chambers at the small end of SAAMI specs end up with fired cases full-length sizing well in RCBS dies. Factory chambers are often on the large end of SAAMI specs and some dies may reduce body diameters too much and case life is short. Full-length sizing needs to reduce body diameters only about .003-inch.

For H&H belted cases, one other die that typically makes full-length sized cases shoot more accurate is one that will size the body all the way back to the belt. This eliminates that step in front of the belt virtually all full-length sizing dies make which interferes with the step in the chamber the belt headspaces against. There's only .003-inch difference between GO and NO-GO tolerances on the H&H belt. See this die at:

http://larrywillis.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.