question about tac rifles

longrangegunner52

I just bought a savage 110 tacticle rifle in 7mm mag. I was wondering if anyone has shot one and how accurate it is, it was used and has the old trigger. Is the fact that it is tacticle mean it is more accurate or what.I haven't got the chance to shoot it yet. I want this to be my first long range rig.

thanks

tactical rifles in a nut shell are ususally heavier[which can help u shoot better]as they are also built to be shot with some kind of support whteher it prone or whatever-but just because it says "tactical" doesnt necessarily mean it will shoot better then a say "sporterweight" rifle,but in some cases factory produced "tac" rifles will shoot better because a little bit more attention goes into the assembly of the rifle itself-my-2-dave

I have owned two savage tactical rifles so far. Currently have a 10FP in 308. The savage rifles shoot very well considering the cost. Mine will hold sub-MOA out to 1000 yards with handloads. Tactical rifles in general are mostly heavy barreled rifles that are desinged for military or police like situations, ie precision shot placement.
Gene Cole III

Saying "Tac Rifle" is like saying "4 wheel drive truck" It can mean anything from a custom barreled custom, stocked gun with bells and whistles to a stock rifle finished in black w/ heavy(er) barrel.

The big diffrence comes in the barrel twist. Varmint guns are essentialy the same rifle but with twist rates to handle light bullets. Tac rifles are usualy set up for the bigger long range bullets.

Depending on the MGFR and model will depend on the stock. Remmy PSS gets you a wide fore grip HSP w/ a double palm swell. Savage get's you a black plastic rifle stock, or a Choat/Plaister Ultimate Sniper or a Mac A-2 stock. Others have other variations those are just off the top of my head.

As 6BRGuy said just cuz it has a heavy barrel doesn't mean it will shoot better. It will shoot it's average over a longer string of fire due to the heavier barrel sucking up more heat and deflecting less.

I have a feather weight hunting rifle that shoots .0's and .1's for 3 cold bore rounds. A five round 5 minute string will get me one 3 rnd hole and two more holes w/i 2". IMHO, perfect, for a hunting rifle. My Tac,Target,LR rifle holds .3's for a twenty shot group.

$.02 more for the pot

Cheers
cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts