question about sticky re: getting accuracy from VLD bullets

dmax1800

I'm going to use some Berger 190 grain VLD bullets in my 300 win mag for some practice shooting. In the sticky about getting the most from VLD bullets, it mentioned 4 different seating depths. If I happen to chose a bad seating depth while doing my powder charge testing, how will I know which powder charge to use??? The smallest group and then adjust the seating depth to tighten up the group even more???

I'd start out seating the bullets to SAAMI spec COL, and get your powder charge tuned-in, then I'd play with seating depth to tighten your groups up.

But that's just my method...And I'm far from a pro. Everyone has their own method they use.

Pick a mid pressure load and find best seating, per Berger's method, before moving on to incremental load development. This will save time and barrel life, as you can it during brass fireforming.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.