Question about quick change scope rings?

jvc58dke

Have a 300 wby mag with Lazermark stock and stainless barrel. Looking at a high end scope (Schmidt, Kahles, Zeiss, or the like) but have been reading about quick disconnect rings...does this mean I could share this scope on a couple of rifles? Is this worth it? Do you have to re-sight the scope each time (logic would dictate this but ??)

jvc,

A lot of people will purchase Quick Detachable rings just for that reason. It gives them the opportunity to change the scope from one rifle to another. The scope may have to be adjusted somewhat because good chances you are change the point of impact due to the different ballistics of the other rifle.

I´d go with some quality picatinny rail and rings. Detach rings just mean, in my opinon, that there is a lever in the base of the rings so that you dont need a key to unscrew the base screws/nut. At the end of the day it is just a matter of having the little tool with you. UNless you go with the swing base european type ( ie apel), but I dont trust them as much as a picat or similar non-rotational system.

My opinion is that in any case, you better check POI after installing the scope or changing it. Good mounts will hold almost same POi.

For lever type rings, I´d go with a pair of Talley.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.