Question about parallax

Bravo 4

Can a non magnified red dot sight have parallax?
The reason I'm asking is because in the user manual for our Aimpoint M68 CCO's it states that they are parallax free past 50m. If the target is within 50m you have to have the dot centered in the scope and on target, but @ 50m and out all you have to do is place the dot on target (no matter where in the scope it's located). I know how parallax effects magnified optics but this doesn't sound like the same thing. If you have your head centered in the optic then parallax is negated...right? With these optics it only matters out to 50m.
Am I wrong about this? Are they just labeling it incorrectly?

Bravo 4,

I'll start out by saying "I don't know", so I guess I should not be answering! :D

From my experience using both open and tube type red-dot's there seems to be very little if any parallax even at close distances. I use them on two shotguns for turkey hunting and an AR and sometimes mount one up on a pistol.

I have tried the "put the dot on the target and move my head around" trick with all of them at various ranges, mostly close though, 20 to 60 yards. I see very little if any movement of the "dot" off the bull even when I move my head to the point the dot is at the edge of the lense.

Certainly not scientific, but that has been my experience. My uses for red dots has always close range and with firearms that I am not concerned with pin point accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.