Question about mils

phillietimothy

Hello all, I am reading the Precision Long Range Shooting article in the March edition of Outdoor Life. It states that - with a come-up at 375 yards of 15 clicks, you can hold the crosshairs 1.5 mils high. I understand that a mil subtends 3.6" at 100 yards. At 375 yards, a mil will subtend 13.5", so 1.5 mils at 375 yards will subtend/equal 20.25". If the scope had 1/4" clicks - this would require 81 clicks in IPHY. The only way 15 clicks would be correct is if the scope adjusted in 1/10 mil clicks. A mil at 375 yards equals 13.5" so a 1/10 mil click would equal 1.35", and 15 clicks would indeed equal 20.25" Is there such a thing as a 1/10 mil scope? Why wouldn't the article state this? By the way it is on page 47 of the March Outdoor Life issue. Thanks for the help.

Tim

Most mil scopes adjust in 1/10 mil (0.1 mil) clicks. My NXS 3.5-15 does. I've heard of 0.05/click, but .1 seems to be the hands down favorite.

Thank you Nomadpilot, I was going crazy trying to figure this out. I wish some of this was standardized, but I guess there are different requirements/preferences for different shooters. I knew that there was 1/4 " and 1/8", I did not know about 1/10 mil clicks. Does this type of adjustment have a specific purpose or is it just personal preference?

I knew that there was 1/4 " and 1/8", I did not know about 1/10 mil clicks. Does this type of adjustment have a specific purpose or is it just personal preference?
Oh I don't know about a specific purpose, except to move the reticle.

In MOA scopes, I've heard of 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, and 1/8 clicks. Then you've got the IPHY-adjusted scopes, with most of the same increments. Then the .1 and .05 mil scopes. Obviously the larger (1, 1/2 MOA) adjustments are better suited for some tasks and the smaller (1/8 MOA, .05mrad) adjustments are better suited for others (i.e. benchrest).

I think 1/4 MOA, 1/4 IPHY, and .1mrad have become the most popular because they're a good balance between precision and minimizing the number of clicks required. The 1 MOA scopes are harder to adjust just where you want them, and the 1/8 MOA scopes require a whole lotta clicks to shoot way out there.

Well, I'm done babbling. :rolleyes:

I would venture to say it does have a specific purpose, to go with a mil type reticule. It makes no sense to mix turrets and reticules between moa and mil, which is done. Common to see mil reticule[midot] and moa, but not to see mil turret w/moa reticle.

Hello all, I am reading the Precision Long Range Shooting article in the March edition of Outdoor Life. It states that - with a come-up at 375 yards of 15 clicks, you can hold the crosshairs 1.5 mils high. I understand that a mil subtends 3.6" at 100 yards. At 375 yards, a mil will subtend 13.5", so 1.5 mils at 375 yards will subtend/equal 20.25". If the scope had 1/4" clicks - this would require 81 clicks in IPHY. The only way 15 clicks would be correct is if the scope adjusted in 1/10 mil clicks. A mil at 375 yards equals 13.5" so a 1/10 mil click would equal 1.35", and 15 clicks would indeed equal 20.25" Is there such a thing as a 1/10 mil scope? Why wouldn't the article state this? By the way it is on page 47 of the March Outdoor Life issue. Thanks for the help.

Tim
And that means that a 10th of a mil is .36" (little over 1/3") at a hunnard yards, but it's better to think metric when using the mil system. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.