Question about bergers...

OKbow87

I was just wondering if any of you guys have had luck loading bergers where they will fit into the magazine. I know they will shoot great if you load them out towards the lands but I would really like to be able to have a repeater with this gun. The gun is a stock 700 lss 300 ultra. Im planning on trying 190 & 210 vld's with H1000 powder. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Colin

Bergers CAN be a great all purpose bullets; HOWEVER, use the LTB ( length tolerant bullets) because the VLD's need to be jammed into the lands for accuracy making them too long for most magazines. Overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

OKbow87,
I have the 300 RUM in LSS and the Sendero 300 RUM. Bergers shoot better usually when seated into the lands, both rifles shoot them beautifly but they just wont fit in the magazine. I shot my Antelope last year with the 210 grainer using it as a single shot, I had more ammo in a deal attached to the stock. I missed the first shot and went down on the second. Trust me, that went fast. Both rifles shoot also great with the 200 gr. Nosler Accubond, I seat them to fit in the magazine. So... We do have options. Good Luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

what is your load with you're lss. what is beautifull groups? Are we talking moa or .5moa? I haven't fiddeled with mine lately but last time I used it I was getting 1.25-1.5 at 100. Wasn't reall impressed. Maybe I am overlooking something.

screech- You got one of those LSS's two?? Mine shot "superb" in my eyes for a factory rifle. I was using H1000 or Retumbo with 200g AB or 210g vld or uld rbbt. If you need specifics, I'm sure I can dig em up for ya. My LSS never shot that bad at 100 yards, thats more like 200-300 yard groups for my rifle.

screech,

The last lot of Retumbo I used, 96.0 gr. would give me 3165 f/sec muzle velocity with the Berger vld 210 gr. in my LSS. Bullet was seated 0.025" into the lands. This load is hot in my rifle and would probably be way too much in others. You know the old story of starting low and work up carefully.
My 14 years old son, last year, he shot groups of 0.80 MOA at 500 yards, also shot a 2.0" two shot group at 684 yards. I have shot groups right at 0.6" or less at 100 yards. For a factory rifle, well, I did glass bed it my self, aside from that it's all factory, I think it shoots beautiful. My son has shot it out to 1384 yards and on the fifth shot dealing with around 18 mph winds he was able to hit at large rock almost dead center. That excited me! I think Berger VLD starts really shooting at 300+ yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.