Question about 300 wsm

coyotewallace

Not sure if this is in the right place but I have a question about this cartridge.
What I would like to know is will this cartridge function in a Rem 700 Short Action or is it LA?

thanks for the help

Chuck

The Rem 700 short action can be made to fit the WSM family of rounds but if you plan to use a heavy bullet you might find yourself either seating the bullet realy deep in the case or shooting it single shot style , but yes the SA will work with the WSM's but it has limitaions.
So it realy depends on what your wanting to shoot with the gun as far as bullets and such

JJ,
Thanks for the help. Yea, I plan on using the lighter bullets but I am not sure which WSM cartridge I will go with but probley the 300 as I have a set of new Redding Dies already(good enough reason for a new rifle for me)I want to put together something to the look of the "LVSF" that Remington has out but I want more horsepower then the 7-08 or 308.

Chuck

The 7 WSM will exceed the velocities of the 7 rem mag
with 120&140gr bullets.

And in these bullet weights have better ballistics
than 30 cal bullets.

The bolt face will have to be opened up and the
rails will also have to be opened.

The Magazine may not hold but 2 rounds (the big
case does not like the staggered follower but 3
rounds should be enough.

Look at the ballistics of the 7 WSM as compaired
to the 300 WSM with lighter bullets and you will
probably reach the same conclusion.

Good luck on your project
Hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

The 300 will work fine with lighter bullets. Mine is built on a S/A 700 with an HS magazine, Min. SAAMI spec chamber. The HS box is on the short side, but holds the 175 smk loaded at the lands. Like JE said with heavy bullets there are better ways to go. A 190 smk starts to dip into the powder with my combo.

Since you plan on lighter bullets either the 7 or 300 work fine. If you wanted to take advantage of the heavy high BC the 7 might be nice. But the 300 set up right will get you at least to a 175 SMK which has been working well out to 1K

The Win factory loads for the 300wsm have a 180gr hunting round feeding from a short action. I have a SA feeding 210's single shot and I suggest for all round uses a 175 SMK or the Berger is a great way to go. The Wyatt box comes in two lengths so be certain what you are thinking of using or specifying. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Overbore

The SPS already has the rails set for the WSM.

For $50 you can have a Wyatts box put in the mag and get another .100 in OAL.

The WSM will do anything you want with up to 210 bullets.

H4350 is a great powder for the 168-210 class bullets and standard primers.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts