Query for you guys that shoot long range please ???

robbobsam

When I shoot my rifle I am sure I cant it over a little. At the minute I do not have an anti cant bubble but I have just ordered one.

Am I correct in saying that as long as the bubble is level and set at level when I am zero'ing the rifle and set to the same level when I am shooting the rifle everything will be ok ???

Or do I have to reset the scope so the cross hairs are set in the same horozontal plane to the rifle ???

You have got to set the crosshares perfect level first. You will know this if you have to continually adjust from left or right to rezero as your range extends.

You have got to set the crosshares perfect level first. You will know this if you have to continually adjust from left or right to rezero as your range extends.

What is the best and easiest way to get the crosshairs dead level ???

Are there any tricks I should try ???

When I set the crosshairs I held the rifle on the bipod, got it comfortable to my cheek and set them level. Obviously this will not be perfectly level.

Should I put the rifle on the ground, put the bubble on rifle, set the bubble level, then slacken off the nightforce and get the crosshairs level to a level line on the wall 100yds away.

Is that about correct ???

It really needs to be very close. The reason is b/c if it's not your crosshair will not be exactly above the bore. This creates an offset so the bullet is not only rising but it is have to go left or right to intersect the line of site. Once you get past your zero point it will either be progressivly more left or right as your distance increases.

I bought a feeler gauge kit and put the right amount under the scope so it just fits. As long as the rifle is tapped right, the base is level and the crosshairs in the scope are level w/the adjustments in the scope, it can't help but be level. Obviously you have to have a one piece base to do this.

i would start with setting the the cross hairs level. but would not trust it from there. that is just a starting point. the next is to see wether or not your crosshairs are canted from your dials. set up a target out about 50 or so yards draw a plumb line on it and shoot a string of shots, one shot per dial setting starting at the top of your dial going down one shot per setting. if your shot string is not plumb than you need to twist the scope until your vertical dial is pumb. if you have a leupold you will probably have to do this as most of their scopes have canted (not on purpose) reticlesgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.