Quality Reloading Package

very good suggestion. Youll never go wrong with rcbs stuff. Like was said its good stuff and nobody has a better warantee. You wont go wrong with anything rcbs, hornady or dillon sells. Lee also make serviceable stuff. It will make ammo as good as the rcbs stuff at a lower price but just isnt the same quality if you plan on keeping it around. You can get into lee stuff for under 200 bucks but i see most getting rid of it somewhere down the line to upgrade. Most who buy rcbs will keep it for the long run. Like he said a single stage press is something your going to allways have a need for no matter what your loading skill level is and a rcbs rockchucker is as good as any press in any price range.
I would get the RCBS Supreme kit. There is also a $50 mail in rebate available at RCBS.com if you spend over $300, which you will with RCBS dies.

The RCBS stuff will last a lifetime, holds its value and I still keep a single stage around for odd jobs.

Gary and I disagree on a few things but he is right about 95% by me. Don't buy a kit , a lee classic cast for inexpensive or a forster co-ax for top of the line press . Wilson trimmer , forster seating die. I like the lee collet neck die and I think Gary is not as fond of them. For regular full length die sets I like lee for inexpensive and forster for top of the line. Any trickler and I use a lee perfect powder measure as I will always trickle down all my rifle loads. A ohaus or rcbs 10-10-10 scale and a hand primer , I have the rcbs . An OAL guage from hornady and a quality dial caliper. No horady dies or trimmers as they are the only ones I have found to be strait junk. If you don't want to spend the money for a wilson just buy some lee spindle trimmer kit to get you by until you get serious. I used a rockchuckerpress for years until I got a co-ax. I wish I had spent the money out front as the forster blows the rockchucker out of the water for precision. A dead stop press is much easier to adjust and repeat with than a camover press. Imo the forster press , forster seater , wilson trimmer are all worth every penny.

Gary and I disagree on a few things but he is right about 95% by me. Don't buy a kit , a lee classic cast for inexpensive or a forster co-ax for top of the line press . Wilson trimmer , forster seating die. I like the lee collet neck die and I think Gary is not as fond of them. For regular full length die sets I like lee for inexpensive and forster for top of the line. Any trickler and I use a lee perfect powder measure as I will always trickle down all my rifle loads. A ohaus or rcbs 10-10-10 scale and a hand primer , I have the rcbs . An OAL guage from hornady and a quality dial caliper. No horady dies or trimmers as they are the only ones I have found to be strait junk. If you don't want to spend the money for a wilson just buy some lee spindle trimmer kit to get you by until you get serious. I used a rockchuckerpress for years until I got a co-ax. I wish I had spent the money out front as the forster blows the rockchucker out of the water for precision. A dead stop press is much easier to adjust and repeat with than a camover press. Imo the forster press , forster seater , wilson trimmer are all worth every penny.

The title of the original post said it all! It was "quality reloading equipment." I have used a good many different presses here and there over the years, but have actually only bought two. I bought the first one on advice from three gun writers at the NRA convention, and have never regretted it. (yes I got to use many different ones before I bought it at the convention). At the time a press was a press to me, and all were the same. But using them was a different story. I kept going back to the big red one and running another handfull of .308 cases thru it. Bob Milek walked up to me and simply said this is the one your looking for. Two minutes later Skelton and either John Wooters or Bill Jordan walked over and said the samething. Next day I ordered one, and my dealer said I was nuts for spending $80 on a reloading press! When it came in he called me up and asked me if he could try it out, and I said sure. He then promptly orders in five of them. He was at one time selling about five of them a month (his shop was very small and out in the middle of nowhere).

I finally have the collet die issues figured out, but can't use them. The are not made to go down as small as I need them to go. May have a custom set made to experiment with.

I like the K&M priming tool. Others like the Sinclair tool. Yet a few others like the Lee and the RCBS. I broke at least one Lee and had trouble with another. Never liked the RCBS, and felt the Lee was better. Bought a Sinclair at the sametime a friend bought one, and it didn't work well for me in my beat up hands. Sold it for what I had in it to another friend who still uses it today. I tried a K&M at a shoot, and fell in love with it. Now I use Federal primers most of the time and the Lee dosn't like them as well. But I do use the Lee or the RCBS a little bit priming pistol rounds. I also use the priming device on the
C0-Ax from time to time as it does a very good job.

I absolutely love the Wilson trimmer! I made an adapter to drive it with an electric screw driver. I also did the micrometer stop for it before you could buy them from Sinclair (I like theirs better than mine). The Square Peg clamp is the best one made for it, and seems almost impossible to find. My one complaint about it is the fired and unfired strait walled case issue with the collets. For that I use either a Forster or a P.O.S. Lyman
gary

Gary , I have only used the rcbs hand primer so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm going to look at another primer I think. So many people try something and it works but never try anything else so they have no point of reference to compare to. I have bought and tried all the major die brands and have owned two presses and used most major brands that friends have. I try not to recommend things I have not personally used and been able to compare to other similar products. I wished I had started loading 20 years earlier than I did . Only have 7 years in but a pile of wasted money. The saying "buy once , cry once " applies. So I say this to the original poster , buy quality once. Not all of the best stuff is the most expensive either , see the forster bullet seater or the lee collet die. I would listen to Gary .

BTW Gary , I tried to order a custom collet die from lee this week and they are too backed up and not taking orders until early summer some time :(

The title of the original post said it all! It was "quality reloading equipment." I have used a good many different presses here and there over the years, but have actually only bought two. I bought the first one on advice from three gun writers at the NRA convention, and have never regretted it. (yes I got to use many different ones before I bought it at the convention). At the time a press was a press to me, and all were the same. But using them was a different story. I kept going back to the big red one and running another handfull of .308 cases thru it. Bob Milek walked up to me and simply said this is the one your looking for. Two minutes later Skelton and either John Wooters or Bill Jordan walked over and said the samething. Next day I ordered one, and my dealer said I was nuts for spending $80 on a reloading press! When it came in he called me up and asked me if he could try it out, and I said sure. He then promptly orders in five of them. He was at one time selling about five of them a month (his shop was very small and out in the middle of nowhere).

I finally have the collet die issues figured out, but can't use them. The are not made to go down as small as I need them to go. May have a custom set made to experiment with.

I like the K&M priming tool. Others like the Sinclair tool. Yet a few others like the Lee and the RCBS. I broke at least one Lee and had trouble with another. Never liked the RCBS, and felt the Lee was better. Bought a Sinclair at the sametime a friend bought one, and it didn't work well for me in my beat up hands. Sold it for what I had in it to another friend who still uses it today. I tried a K&M at a shoot, and fell in love with it. Now I use Federal primers most of the time and the Lee dosn't like them as well. But I do use the Lee or the RCBS a little bit priming pistol rounds. I also use the priming device on the
C0-Ax from time to time as it does a very good job.

I absolutely love the Wilson trimmer! I made an adapter to drive it with an electric screw driver. I also did the micrometer stop for it before you could buy them from Sinclair (I like theirs better than mine). The Square Peg clamp is the best one made for it, and seems almost impossible to find. My one complaint about it is the fired and unfired strait walled case issue with the collets. For that I use either a Forster or a P.O.S. Lyman
gary

Gary,
Thanks again for the information

Gary , I have only used the rcbs hand primer so I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm going to look at another primer I think. So many people try something and it works but never try anything else so they have no point of reference to compare to. I have bought and tried all the major die brands and have owned two presses and used most major brands that friends have. I try not to recommend things I have not personally used and been able to compare to other similar products. I wished I had started loading 20 years earlier than I did . Only have 7 years in but a pile of wasted money. The saying "buy once , cry once " applies. So I say this to the original poster , buy quality once. Not all of the best stuff is the most expensive either , see the forster bullet seater or the lee collet die. I would listen to Gary .

BTW Gary , I tried to order a custom collet die from lee this week and they are too backed up and not taking orders until early summer some time :(

Thank you the advise. It is nice to ask a question and get honest replies without the opinionated smart a____ remarks you see on most forums. This is a quality open forums with posts I respect from experienced users. Thank you for everything you are sharing, I look forward to learning more.

I thought about reworking a 20 Tactical die, but it won't work!

try one of the k&M tools for priming. I'll loan you one to try if you want to give it a try.
gary

Does the K&M have a way to feed primers ? I was on their website and didn't see a tray or tube. If it has a way to automatically feed primers then I will order one. I can't see myself manually feeding each primer .

very good suggestion. Youll never go wrong with rcbs stuff. Like was said its good stuff and nobody has a better warantee. You wont go wrong with anything rcbs, hornady or dillon sells. Lee also make serviceable stuff. It will make ammo as good as the rcbs stuff at a lower price but just isnt the same quality if you plan on keeping it around. You can get into lee stuff for under 200 bucks but i see most getting rid of it somewhere down the line to upgrade. Most who buy rcbs will keep it for the long run. Like he said a single stage press is something your going to allways have a need for no matter what your loading skill level is and a rcbs rockchucker is as good as any press in any price range.

Thanks guy's.

Does the K&M have a way to feed primers ? I was on their website and didn't see a tray or tube. If it has a way to automatically feed primers then I will order one. I can't see myself manually feeding each primer .

they are all manual feed just like the Sinclair as well. I don't know any right off the top of me head that have a primer feed in the high end ones. RCBS and Forster make bench mounted priming devices, and I think the RCBS has some sort of a feed. Just never saw a need for an auto feed.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts