• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED Quality of Nosler Brass

Ernie

SPONSOR
Looking at a future project with a 280 Imp cartridge. i am thinking abut using nosler's 280AI brass, but I do not know anything about it's quality/hardness.

Any info?

Experience?

Thanks!

I had originally heard that Nosler was in contract with Winchester to produce their new "Custom" brass. ??

With the war effort in full swing, it doesn't seem like Federal is able to do very much production for the civilian shooting market.

Okay, so is it Federal or Winchester then that makes the brass?

Second, has anyone one used their brass and how does it compare to others?

I have used it in a 300 and 7 ultra and 22-250. Its not majic. Looks good, looks real good cut in half, but it doesnt outlast the chepo remmy brass.(maybe in lower pressure stuff) It is quite a bit thicker so drop your load or youll just get one load out of the pockets. I was getting 3-4 loads out of the pockets with stiff ultra loads which is what I can get out of remmy. But it is nice to buy 50 and use 50 peices. Cant do that with remmy. They just buy that brass from federal in cases of 500,000 and put it through a machine that weight sorts, then a little machine that goes up and down and majicly turns in in to gold, (or preps it)which ever way you want to look at it. (That was for you Bob)

Jason

Last edited:
I found Nosler necks were very thin. Too thin for use in my 270 AM (Necked down 300 RUMs)

Also found that case volume was a little less than REMs and heads/web area softer and body harder.

Blew primers with no extraction problems at all w/the Noslers?

Went back to REM brass.

If 280 I'd stick w/Win brass. Just better all the way around. (If they haven't changed it lately.:rolleyes:)

I shoot the Nosler .280AI brass... and I love it. I seriously doubt that it's Federal brass... that stuff is junk in my experience. All the brass was ready to go right out of the box. Primer, Powder, Bullet... BANG! My rifle has not shot a group over 1.5" at 200 yards with the Nosler brass and any bullet. I loaded and fired one piece 10 times to find out how tough the brass was and the primer pocket is still nice and tight. What more could you want? ~JT

Your right maybe I cant read the tag in the big crate, or I wasnt understanding the boss when he said can you help build a machine to sort FEDERAL brass, with our head stamp?????? I dunno? Maybe I was working at some other bullet place? I bet that was it.

Jason

Ahhh. Jason @ Nosler would be a much more appropriate handle. I guess then it's pshychosematic... because all the Federal brass I've ever used was garbage. But hey... slap a Nosler headstamp on it and it's golden. Maybe y'all should try that with their Fusion Bullets... HAAAA. Whatever you did with that machine it works well... I weighed every piece and they were all within the +/- 2 grain range. Good brass... even though it is Federal. ~JT

Sorry if I came off a little crappy. I have been having alot going on on my end. I am just now trying to get back to life after loosing my dad way too early. LRH is one of my regular visits and I dont mean to be like that. I infact dont work there anymore due to the wonderful management style. But I was there during some neat times. The first accubond machine, nosler brass, nosler rifle, cool stuff. Dream job actually. If the owner and gen manager could realize the value of people. I watched 130 people go through in the two years I was there. How are you supposed to remember peoples names at that rate.

Jason

It's sad to hear you say that Jason... I actually noticed that both times I was there. I declined the offer to come and join you there at Nosler twice. After Matt Smith left the Ballistics Lab it seemed like the management style changed to the big business/corperate philosophy. In fact, I still have some .300 WSM brass with no head stamp that he gave me when I was down there interviewing in about 1999/2000... y'all were helping to shoot some of the early data for Winchester. Thanks for outing them on thier brass... a lot of guys have been speculating on that.

Sorry to hear about your father... that's rough. Good shooting, ~JT

I have some 270win -it was nice just loading it up and shooting it .

It looks nice -but so did my last girlfriend ..haha

I don't like when companies don't treat their people well , i think nosler -everything is too expensive.Selling the nbt's in boxes of 50 is bs ,might as well buy custom bullets.

Sorry bout your Dad..

I shoot the Nosler .280AI brass... and I love it. I seriously doubt that it's Federal brass... that stuff is junk in my experience. All the brass was ready to go right out of the box. Primer, Powder, Bullet... BANG! My rifle has not shot a group over 1.5" at 200 yards with the Nosler brass and any bullet. I loaded and fired one piece 10 times to find out how tough the brass was and the primer pocket is still nice and tight. What more could you want? ~JT

300 Yard group shot useing Winchester Brass and noe wieghing or case sorting

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-groups300-yar.jpg