Quality e-muffs.??

Jake in NC

.. Whenever I settle in on my cannon I'd like to have a set of the electronic muffs.. I've tried a set (Peltor's.?) out and it was like listening to the world thru an AM radio.. Are there any options for better sound quality.?? Thanks for helping out a recovering audiophile.. d:^) JiNC

If you want good hearing protection, forget about the electronic muffs. Even the best have moderate sound attenuation.

The highest rated muffs are by Howard Leight at 31dB. For really loud boomers, I also use their new earplugs rated at an amazing 33dB.

With both on, the loudest muzzle brake boom is quite tolerable - actually comfortable. Has made long shooting sessions very pleasant.

In a hunting situation where you do need some hearing, I will be using my new Peltor 6. Pretty good microphone system and moderate sound attenuation. Good enough, that I won't go deaf after one or two shots at game. Very compact and light.

Jerry

Just 'cause I like to fuss over things..

..I'm not absolutely sure that "noise reduction" is THE ultimate goal for hearing protection.. I'm thinking that the "force" of sound and certain frequencies are more destructive than the actual "level of sound" itself..
Case in point.. Ever notice how some sounds that really aren't that loud seem to vibrate your ear to an extreme.. Some of these are pretty universal.(scratching nails on a chalkboard or scraping a ceramic plate with a fork. Circular saws agitate mine severely.) And others are more individual specific.. My step-grandpaw swore I'd be deaf by 20 'cause of too much Ted Nugent at way too high volume in headphones..( for reference,he was awakened in the next room many times by this practice.) But now-a-days he swears I have the best hearing he's ever known..(mainly 'cause I bust him when he tries to squeak out an SBD at family gatherings.. Don't ask..
rolleyes.gif
)
.. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that avoiding the "concussion" maybe as, or more important than avoiding the noise.. If that makes any sense..
..Donning my flame suit, now.. d:^) JiNC

[ 04-11-2003: Message edited by: Jake in NC ]

Some sounds are more irritating to some but does not cause any ear damage. The intensity (dB) and time exposed to that noise is what causes the damage - kills off the hairs in our ears which vibrate to transfer "sound" to other parts the ear and eventually to our brain. We loose the ability to hear different sound ranges. Damage is cumulative.

Rifle fire is at very high dB's and it does not take much exposure to cause permanent hearing damage. Ear muffs absorb sounds above certain levels. The higher the dB rating, the more noise it absorbs.

Try a pair of 31dB earmuffs next to one even of 29dB. There is a very significant difference. Add 33dB earplugs and things get real comfortable even with muzzle braked monsters.

Worth the $30 for the earmuffs...

Jerry

338-378
..But the real disgusting thing is this.. Why are we indoors at all on a day like this.!?!? Hehehe.. I've been out short 'hoggin this AM and came in for lunch.. I'll be back afield inna few minutes.. d:^) JiNC

PS.. I had the guys over to watch your video last night.. Gene griped about the music.. Hehehe.. Elsewise, it was enjoyed immensely..
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.