Pulling Bullets

scope-eye

This is the way I do them, when you get a rhythm going you can do a lot of them in a short time.
Make sure you use a cable cutter and not side cutters aka dykes, it's a very smoth operation and the cable cutters leave only two of the smallest marks on the bullet, "nothing that the rifling won't smooth out" and if the bullets have that seating line in them even better, it has not affected accuracy at all When I have reused them . If the marks are deep you are putting to much force on the cable cutters, it does not take much to hold them in place, they arm on the press does all the work. For those curious about the round in the pic it is a 6mm WSM it has a pet name Mr Nasty.LOL it shoots 105gr and 107s at 4000fps plus and 55g 5000fps plus.
This has been a public service announcement.

Dean

PS: This has always worked for me your millage may vary.
IMG_0395 (1).jpg

IMG_0398 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I have two of those large and small bullets and some times use it instead of the cable cutters.

Dean

This is the way I do them, when you get a rhythm going you can do a lot of them in a short time.
Make sure you use a cable cutter and not side cutters aka dykes, it's a very smoth operation and the cable cutters leave only two of the smallest marks on the bullet, "nothing that the rifling won't smooth out" and if the bullets have that seating line in them even better, it has not affected accuracy at all When I have reused them . If the marks are deep you are putting to much force on the cable cutters, it does not take much to hold them in place, they arm on the press does all the work. For those curious about the round in the pic it is a 6mm WSM it has a pet name Mr Nasty.LOL it shoots 105gr and 107s at 4000fps plus and 55g 5000fps plus.
This has been a public service announcement.

Dean

PS: This has always worked for me your millage may vary.
View attachment 265088
View attachment 265089
Fast and easy

I don't want to hyjack the thead, so I will make it short the 105s 72 of RL17 and the 55gr is 72 gr of Varget full compressed cases for both. Voila
I got those numbers on the first try on both of them and that was good enough for me so I left them alone. I just love it when the powder out weighs the bullet.

Dean

PS: I am sure someone is running the numbers as we speak.LOL

By far the best ballance between weight and velocity, are the Sierra 69gr and 77gr HP they have that really short bearing suface and a half decent BC. The 69s are in the high 4500fps and the 77s are in the low 4500fps both a full case 72gr of RL17, once again that is they only load I have ever tried and stuck with it for obvious reasons. I use those two bullets in all my 6mm cases factory, Ackley Imp, and Wildcats and they never disapoint. In fact sometimes I am even surprised at the results, you figure I would get use to it after a while but I never do.

Dean

I bought a grip and pull, unless you have super human strength, which at 70 years old I do not the thing is worthless.
That is why I only use it some times, If the bullet is frozen, stuck, welded, or just has too much neck tension they end up slipping and marring the bullet.

Dean

I've used the same technique using vise-grips building "watermelon loads" from Norinco 5.56, but in those cases I didn't care about the FMJ's coming out, only the SX's that replaced them. Even with a 'military' crimp it is fast and easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.