Pulldown loads

sewwhat89

Can I safely pull Remington factory loads for 300 SAUM and reload them with say Nosler AB or Hornady IB?

The 165 gr Factories put 9 shots into 0.79" at 100 yds with a MV of 32xx. I can equal that in my Win Mag, but not even close in the SAUM. Your thoughts!

Just out of curiosity, why are you wanting to do this? To get a better bullet than the factory loading?

When I got my first tast of reloading, my dad would pull the bullet on milsurp 06 loads. Then we would only neck size the cases and seat a 150gr Sierra. If we had AP's then we would use 165gr Hornady SPBT's. This was deemed safe by him in his gun as the ball ammo would be a 147gr FMJ and the AP would weigh around 172 or so. They weren't the most accurate by some folks standards, but I never saw him fail to hit what he was aiming at with them, in 30 yrs of hunting with him.

As for your case, I would imagine that if you change the bullet only, that pressure problems would most likly not pose a major problem. But you never know how the powder will react to a different seating depth or bearing surface. As well, once you change the components then you have a completely differnt load and it may not shoot worth a hoot.

That is the problem I have with my .308 Compact. It shoots right at 1" using the plain jane Rem factory stuff. However nothing I have loaded to date will drop under pattern sized groups. So, I shoot the factory stuff in that one. It has far exceeded what I ever thought it would do, and for about $10 bucks a box, heck I am happy with it.

I would just pick up several boxes of the same lot of that factory stuff and not look back. Then you at least have something you can shoot while you continue to work on your loads.

BTW where the heck are you up in East Texas? I will be heading to Palestine tomorrow for the weekend and some work on our place and my friends place. Shoot me an e-mail with a PH# and I will give you a holler. I will be starting on some loads Sunday and hopefully be done by Monday evening.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.