pst or vx3??

Tikkamike

I know this has been on here probably but I'm looking for a scope for my 7mm. I would like to get 1000+ out of it. So I am wondering what is the advantage to the PST? I don't care that its illuminated. Also I have zero stops for leupold Scopes. Is there something else that makes the pst superior in your opinion?

I know this has been on here probably but I'm looking for a scope for my 7mm. I would like to get 1000+ out of it. So I am wondering what is the advantage to the PST? I don't care that its illuminated. Also I have zero stops for leupold Scopes. Is there something else that makes the pst superior in your opinion?

I have the same question.. Always been a Leupold guy, but the PSTs have some great features for the bucks. If I went VX3 it would be through the custom shop with M1 turrets and a mil dot reticle though....

I sold my vx3 and replaced it with a pst for three main reasons that may or may not matter to you

1. Easier to dial in drop and windage
2. Slightly better glass
3. Reticle was more advanced combined with the ffp

Both are great scopes but the pst had more of the features I was looking for plus slightly better glass.

I prefer vortex customer service but both companies are good to work with.

My 2 cents

Naturally, it depends on what you want to accomplish with the scope and I can't speak directly to the VX-3, but I have both the Mark 4 4.5 - 14 X 50 LRT M1 illuminated TMR and the PST 6 - 24 X 50 with the MOA reticle. They are close but I like the glass on the PST better than the Mark 4. The PST does have a zero stop but it is done with shims and I didn't even have enough shims with the scope until I put a 20 moa rail under it. I would take the PST over the Mark 4 if push came to shove but that is with the tactical turrets. If you are hunting you might want a lower turret like the VX-3 but you would want it to be the "long range" version with the side parallax adjustment. Again, it depends on the application.

Is this for hunting or long range target shooting?

joseph

Tikkamike still has not answered my question. Until he does I can not give him the correct answer. I have a 6-24x50mm PST FFP MOA scope and have an important observation which will make a big difference in which scope he chooses.

joseph

I'm wringing out a new PST 6-24 SFP on my 223 AI in the p/dog fields..

So far....I like it........don't have a Leo to compare it to.......

Actually don't need/want one either......

Vortex upper end glass rocks.......

Joseph, what would be the differences between hunting and say, tactical match shooting with the Viper PST? Do you pefer one over the other? I shoot Leupold Mark 4's and Nightforce scopes for both hunting and target shooting, but would like to try the Viper. I have heard good things about the PST and am really considering the 6.5-24x50mm in MOA. Not sure about FFP and SFP yet. Any words of advise would help?

One Viper PST scope would go on an AR10, 308 for target shooting/ Comp to 800 yds and one on a Rem 700 7mm STW for LRH to 1000 yds.

Joseph, what would be the differences between hunting and say, tactical match shooting with the Viper PST? Do you pefer one over the other? I shoot Leupold Mark 4's and Nightforce scopes for both hunting and target shooting, but would like to try the Viper. I have heard good things about the PST and am really considering the 6.5-24x50mm in MOA. Not sure about FFP and SFP yet. Any words of advise would help?

One Viper PST scope would go on an AR10, 308 for target shooting/ Comp to 800 yds and one on a Rem 700 7mm STW for LRH to 1000 yds.

Now that I have gotten into long range target shooting (1,000) I have come to the conclusion for me the 6-24x50mm MOA FFP PST reticule is to thick for sighting in on the center of the bull at 1,000 yds. I absolutely love the FFP reticule for hunting though.

For long range target shooting I would rather a finer reticule which the SFP PST has.

So I am setting up two scopes with the same rings that will be interchangeable on my 20 MOA Picatinny rail. I am also going to experiment with a 3x BOOSTER LENS on my SFP scope.

"Aim small miss small", :D

joseph

Last edited:
My buddies that are dedicated 1000 bench shooters, use 12-42 bench nightforce w/ target dot. I was spotting through a 65x85 ziess and thought I saw a group, and shooter confirmed it in his nightforce 6mm bullet holes @ 1003

My buddies that are dedicated 1000 bench shooters, use 12-42 bench nightforce w/ target dot. I was spotting through a 65x85 ziess and thought I saw a group, and shooter confirmed it in his nightforce 6mm bullet holes @ 1003

Thats why I'm putting a 3x Boost on my 10-40x scope.

joseph

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.