pse tac 15i effective hunting range

patross79

I am thinking of purchasing this crossbow but am having hard time figuring out the effective hunting range is. I currently have an Excalibur exomag and although I can group very good at 60 yards the noise and flight time keep my hunting to 35 ish. I have searched a lot of forum and mostly just found the guys bashing them. Too heavy, loud, ect. So to all of you that own them are they quiet for a crossbow and what effective range for hunting would you give them on hunting white tail.

I sold a TAC to a guy who first actually shot 6 different crossbows before selecting the TAC.

He told me the TAC is the quietest.

I have killed deer at 72 and 86 yards with mine.

My Tac 15 is very quite compared to other crossbows.

I think the longer arrows make the difference.(Over 26" and longer ones can be shot).

I would imagine that the max killing would be somewhere around 100 yards based on penetration, trajectory and accuracy.

J E CUSTOM

Great, I was hoping for at least 75 yards, my main concern was the noise level, as my Excalibur is pretty darn loud. Is there any down sides other than length/weight and that doesn't bother me considering the weight of some of the rifles I carry are substantially more.

The Tac15i is very quiet. Quietest crossbow I've seen.
Not as quiet as my vertical bow, but almost.

Having a deer jump the string is the farthest think from my mind with that Timney trigger breaks.

I have not shot a deer beyond 35 yards, but I don't set up for shots farther than that.

Maybe some day I'll shoot farther.

Compared to other crossbows the Tac is very quiet straight from the factory and with a few add ons you can quiet it down a LITTLE more. As far as effective hunting range goes, it all depends on you and your abilities. Carefully set up the Tac is very accurate out to 100+ yards.

I'm new to deer hunting, I shot my first deer last fall from a tree stand at 66 yards using the Tac 15i. Complete double lung pass thru, the deer ran about 30 yards. Searched a long time and never found the arrow. Suspect it is deep under the gound.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.