PSE Tac 15/15i penetration on big game?

LIK2HNT

Still waiting for my targey to arrive before I start shooting. Has anyone figures the drop in inches for this XBow at all yardages?

Has anyone taken any animals yet? I am curious how penitration was.

Thanks
Bill

Look further, we have drop tables in this sub-forum and in the Review Article.

Last month in WY. Mule deer doe at 72 yards just before dark. Quartering shot. Couldn't see the arrow flight. Hit a large bone, loud WHACK! Like taking a 2x2 piece of lumber and hitting a tree, it was so loud. I knew I had hit the deer. :)

Complete pass through. Dead deer.

With a Grim Reaper Whitetail (3-Blade / 2" Cut) at about 20 yards, the arrow buried itself about 7 inches deep (at an angle) in dense soil with some rock content. That was after it blew all the way through a 5-point Bucks mid-section. The shot was made by a family member, while I was hunting with my Matthews bow.

IMO: We need a 6-Blade / 2" Cut broadhead to use up more of that wasted energy that went into plowing dirt. Or we are going to have to start lining up two Deers to take a shot at.

Len,
Could you please help me figure this out. I am doing something wrong in my calculations. At 81 yards you are using the crosshair which is a distance of 6 mil dots from the top one. At 3 power each mil should be 9.72 inches at 81 yards, therefore 6 mils would be 58.32 inches. Yet, when I work the math backwards from 61.9MOA I get 52.6 inches. Is there an article that explains using mils and converting to MOA and the other way around? I know the shot was 2.25 inches low, but that still does not make up the differance.

Thanks
Bill

I know the shot was 2.25 inches low, but that still does not make up the differance.

Not sure what you are trying to learn or do. But why not just develop your own drop chart for your scope and air density conditions.

2.25 inches off at 81 yards isn't worth trying to explain. :)

Another example of TAC-15 penitration on a Deer using broadhead with 3-blades 2"-cut diameter.

The deer was hit behind the left shoulder about mid-way up/down on a down-ward quartering shot out about 25 yards. The arrow just barely came out of the belly of the deer on it's right-side, only to then go through the upper part of the deers right rear leg. The arrow continued on, once again burying itself in a dirt embankment about 3 inches deep.

Given all the arrow had to cut through on a diagonal using one of the larger cutting broadheads available and the broadhead was buried in the dirt, I would say penetration is excellent for medium sized (non-dangerous) game.

I am confident that a 100 yard shot into the heart-lung area of a deer would result in complete pass through.

I am confident that a 100 yard shot into the heart-lung area of a deer would result in complete pass through.
I highly concur.

The problem with verification, is getting the deer to stand exactly a 100-yards away.
Still, I am willing to keep trying. :rolleyes:

Okay, I have had both. The first deer I tested the TAC out on was a splke buck. Not my first choice, but I just had to see what this awesome shooting machine was capable of.

Now this ended up being the worse case scenario. The buck turned toward me right at the shot. I ended up dissecting the front shoulder ball joint in three pieces. The arrow entered the boiler room, went back through the liver and paunch, and exited the underbelly before stopping in the rear leg bone. Let me tell you, that is a TON of penetration. The broadhead was a Rage broadhead which broke on entry. I'm not too sold on these heads. Would another have held up to that same shot? I don't know but so far they have not been great for me. I just think there are better choices for me out there.

Back to penetration. That buck ran 60-70 yards before piling up. I put a NAP Spitfire Maxx through a nice doe, broadside through both lungs. She ran 75 yards maybe before expiring. But the arrow was buried in the ground 6-7 inches on the other side.

I think that if you use a broadhead with a smaller cutting diameter, say 1.5" or less, you will blow through anything on the North American landscape.

Of the four deer I killed this year with my Tac 15, three shots were pass throughs that went through heart/lungs and buried 6-8 inches into the ground.

The fourth shot was a quartering away shot that entered high on the right hip and exited low on the left shoulder of a large doe. She turned to look at me and bowed her body as the arrow went through her. Basically the arrow went diagonally through the length of the body and broke in half when the deer ran thru a brush pile. Half of the shaft with the fletching was found inside the body cavity, the half with the broadhead was lying on the ground by the limb she hit.

I used Montec CS three blade broadheads with 1-1/16" cutting diameter and I agree with Super 91 about blowing through anything in North America.

Last edited:
You guys are all shooting at animals that are much to small for this xbow.

We're going to have to let some elephants and rhino's loose to give your arrows a little more of a workout! If you must take something with antlers, maybe a diagonal shot on a Moose or an Elk would slow it down just a bit, but my bet is that you'd probably still have some pass thru's on a diagonal with them as well.

Much larger heads will only ruin the flight performance and accuracy of your arrow shafts. The reason PSE recommends the use of 100 grain Steelforce Phat Heads is because of the strength of the head, the flight performance and the fact that 100 grains of weight will provide an F.O.C. of approximately 11.3%. That's a nice balance for a hunting arrow combination. Anything between 10 and 15% is what is generally recommended.

Too much kinetic energy, so its sort of like hunting squirrels or rabbits with a 300 mag.

Jon

Breaking away from the whitetail seen is a hard thing to do. So many targets so little time...

I may break away and do an elk hunt this season in Nevada. Its a hard draw but I think I have the points to get a tag.

I was invited by a friend to hunt Fred Eichler's bow hunters only ranch in Colorado for 2012 season. So looks like elks on the menu for the next two years.

I have to cut back on those rabbits and squirrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.