PSE TAC 15/15i, 10/10i Crossbow Review

Broadheads for TAC 15/15i

Whoops, I see I am behind in my replies.

what is best broadhead for this - mechanical or fixed - wouldn't mechanical perform better in windy conditions?

I use a compact 4 blade fixed called the Steelforce Phathead. It was the one PSE used and told me about. It shot so well I didn't try any other.

Has anyone turned up the magnification on the Accushot at the longer ranges? I was wondering what effect that would have on point of aim. For example, if you use the fourth mil-dot down (from the crosshairs) at 100 yards with the scope at 3x, what would happen if you turned the scope up to 9x? I'm guessing you can't use the 4th mil-dot down anymore??? I didn't have a steady enough shooting bench/rest to adjust the scope and see what happened to the point of aim and I didn't have time to test it out. Next trip to the range, I'm going to remove the bow from the stock and then reinstall it and see if that affects the point of impact. Anyone else tried that yet?

Like any mildot scope used on a rifle, your drops using the dots will be accurate only at the power you used to set up your drops.

I am looking at getting one of these, but would like to know if anyone has had any problems with them?

Not many real problems being reported. I started a TAC 15 sub-forum. You should go over there and read the posts. I started that forum precisely so we can all honestly share our experiences -- good or not so good.

Nationally (statistically) there have been few problems. I have had numerous customers call me back and say they are thrilled. I have had 2 or 3 call me back with problems. Two of them didn't follow the user guide directions and needed help. There is a printed guide and a really good DVD. But, hey, we are guys and we don't always read or watch everything -- myself included.

One guy couldn't get the trigger to release. He had attached the string's D-loop to the wrong part of the cocking block. It's a complex unit and reading the directions carefully is essential. Had I not gone over there to help him, I never would have known if it was a product defect or a failure to follow directions.

Another guy, not a customer of mine, bought locally from a small shop, called for advice after he broke a key part because he didn't follow directions. And his own local dealer didn't have a clue.

I've been involved in several successful businesses over the years where customer service was key. It is sometimes impossible to know over the phone (or email) whether the product failed or the user did. Even when the user says: "I did everything to maintain my new home the way I'm supposed to." And you go over to the house to find out the basement is wet only because he didn't maintain proper drainage around his house when natural settlement occurs a year or so after the new landscaping is installed and he never cleans the leaves out of his gutters and they overflow, causing a wet basement.

Some, myself included, have had some trouble with vanes coming loose. PSE is aware and is working on it. Most of mine have had no problem. Those that come loose are very easy to re-glue. I haven't had a loose vane in my last 50(?) shots.

And you can buy from me and get unlimited phone support -- forever.

Buy PSE TAC 15 Crossbow right here at LRH Gear Shop

Last edited:
I bought a Tac 15 upper six months ago or so. After shooting it maybe 100 times one of the limbs completely shattered. I sent it back to PSE and they fixed it right away. When I got it back I shot it maybe 20 times before a limb began to delaminate. Only a matter of time before it breaks AGAIN. I haven't yet contacted PSE but I'll be sending it back AGAIN very soon.

I do like how it shoots (when it works) but I am very concerned about the safety of this product. That's a lot of power to have explode in your face especially when using broadheads. Fortunately for me I just heard a loud pop and the limb shattered but did not come completely apart. I was able to ease it back and remove the arrow from the bow instead of from my forehead.

I have taken very good care of this bow. It has never seen any abuse. I'm mostly a gun guy and keep my guns cleaned and well oiled better than just about anyone I know. I treat this Tac15 no differently. I'd like to say I'm thrillled with the product but based on my experience so far I just can't. It's expensive and a pain to keep sending something back to the manufacturer. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I researched this product as thoroughly as I could and didn't find any negative comments that I took seriously. Too bad for me because I've got a lot of money invested here with the Tac 15, Arrows, broadheads, optics, etc. That's money that I wish I still had.

SGOFFMANZ

Sorry for your problems. That has to be very frustrating.

Be sure you follow up with PSE as they need your feedback. I did talk to them after your posting. They have had some failure such as yours but at a very low %.

I did a Google search on crossbow limb failure or something like that and found multiple brands of crossbows show up with reported limb failures. I am not sure what to conclude from my Google search other than that it is inconclusive.

Thank you Len. Christmas has me a little behind otherwise I would have already returned this to PSE. They did fix it last time and sent it back immediately. Hopefully they will get this resolved. I plan on sending it back to them very soon. This has cost me some faith in the Tac 15 but otherwise it has shot well. I'm just a little disheartened and afraid it'll explode in my face. Thanks for all your insights.

SG

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts