Proud Father

4xforfun

Sorry...I couldn't resist.....and no respomce is necessary.

I took my 9 year old Jr. PETA member out hunting last night. I always get a couple of extra doe tags, just in case. You can't get a license here until you are 14. He shot one last year and 2 years ago. I set up a little bait pile in an opening at about 180 yards. We had been using a remington VS in 220 Swift. I figured 180 was as far as I would push the 22 cal. Both were soild heart shots.

This year I had converted the swift to a 6mm Dasher for 1 K comp. 105 berger VLD at 3050 fps. I took the MBR stock off and put the factory VS stock back on. I made him shoot a couple of groups at 300 just to make sure he was OK. 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 300.....Good enough for me.

This late in the season the big does get a little skiddish, and nothing but babys were showing up. Then, just before dark, I spotted a very nice doe and calf at 514 yards. We talked about the shot, I dialed up the correct yardage, and he took care of buisness.

Doe ran about 50 yards and ended up in a pile.....perfect heart shot...big exit wound. I was a little worried about "enough gun" for that distance. I guess that I worried for nothing.

Any way......I guess by re-reading this it sounds like I am gloating a little bit......I guess I am, but this feels better than any animal that I have ever shot at any distance.....and I truly am a.................................................

PROUD FATHER!!:D

Right on man! Good Stuff... Best time you can spend with kids these days is outdoors. They remember these things for a lifetime. Cant wait til my son gets to be "of age."

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.