Proud Father

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by 4xforfun, Nov 21, 2008.

1. 4xforfun

4xforfun Well-Known Member

Sorry...I couldn't resist.....and no respomce is necessary.

I took my 9 year old Jr. PETA member out hunting last night. I always get a couple of extra doe tags, just in case. You can't get a license here until you are 14. He shot one last year and 2 years ago. I set up a little bait pile in an opening at about 180 yards. We had been using a remington VS in 220 Swift. I figured 180 was as far as I would push the 22 cal. Both were soild heart shots.

This year I had converted the swift to a 6mm Dasher for 1 K comp. 105 berger VLD at 3050 fps. I took the MBR stock off and put the factory VS stock back on. I made him shoot a couple of groups at 300 just to make sure he was OK. 1.5 inch 5 shot groups at 300.....Good enough for me.

This late in the season the big does get a little skiddish, and nothing but babys were showing up. Then, just before dark, I spotted a very nice doe and calf at 514 yards. We talked about the shot, I dialed up the correct yardage, and he took care of buisness.

Doe ran about 50 yards and ended up in a pile.....perfect heart shot...big exit wound. I was a little worried about "enough gun" for that distance. I guess that I worried for nothing.

Any way......I guess by re-reading this it sounds like I am gloating a little bit......I guess I am, but this feels better than any animal that I have ever shot at any distance.....and I truly am a.................................................

PROUD FATHER!!:D

2. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Cool story, thanks for sharing :D

3. jwp475

jwp475 Well-Known Member

Excellent... A new long range hunter emerges, that's awesome

4. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Lucky boy...and father!

5. chase

chase Active Member

priceless

6. HRstretch

HRstretch Well-Known Member

Shoot, I would be gloating as well. Tell him way to go and to you too.

7. Halfdoc

Halfdoc Well-Known Member

Great stuff!:D

8. eferry

eferry Active Member

Right on man! Good Stuff... Best time you can spend with kids these days is outdoors. They remember these things for a lifetime. Cant wait til my son gets to be "of age."