Proper Tagging Protocol in CO?

ricknolan

Can someone please explain the proper protocol for tagging an elk in Colorado.

Specifically interested in leaving proof of sex attached and which part of the carcass does the tag remain when making multiple trips off the mountain with head, quartered and/or boned meat.

Thanks

Pay attention to the 'Evidence of Sex" requirements. People get fined for it. I did not give it much thought, but after reading a few accounts of other people getting into trouble, I take it more seriously now.

You have to have proof of sex attached to at least one of the quarters. I don't bone out my elk but saw at the knee. When I'm stopped I catch a little hell for not having sex attached to both hind quarters but I've never been written a ticket for it. I always leave sex attached to hind quarters and attach my tag to a front quarter. Make sure you punch and sign your tickets immediatly when you find your kill. While in transport you don't have to have the tag on the animal but it has to be on you while in posession of the animal. This is if you have to make multiple trips. If you're making one trip then attach it to the animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.