Proof Research custom rifles

So, I randomly stumbled across this thread via a Google search so I decided I'd follow up on my earlier posts.

I have long since had my .375 CheyTac completed (XLR stock, Stiller Tac408 action, Proof Research Barrel, Jewel trigger, LRA bipod) and it's a shooter to say the least. .25 MOA is effortless and I typically run in the 0.15 range. The weight is fantastic and it looks sexy as hell. To answer a previous post, shooting strings has no effect. I only have two magazines so I am limited to 10 shot bursts but in so doing, the groups do not wander at all. This sort of abuse, however, is not something out of which I want to make a habit so it was a one time deal....

I liked the build so much that I am addicted. I now have a .300 Win Mag with a Stiller action and Proof barrel that delivers the same performance. In fact, I have a .300 WSM and a .308 under construction now and both are using Proof barrels. I am a true believer to say the least.

Attachments

• IMG_0978.jpg
    IMG_0978.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 107
Thanks for following up. Sounds like you have a beast of a rifle. What is the weight all up? Did you have proof do all the work or another smith?

I have no idea what it all weighs but I am sure it's much lighter than the option via a SS barrel. One of these days I'll have to put it on a scale just to see. The CheyTac was done by Shawn Menzenberg (straightshootersupply.com).

Here's the 300 WM (By Ray Bowman).

Attachments

• 300 WM.jpg
    300 WM.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 112
I really like that 300. Looks like what i want in a 7mm. What stock is that? Very nice rifles all around.

The stock is a "Remington Hunter" by McMillan that was painted by Central Arizona Firearms. It also has an Edwards recoil reducer in the butt which seems to change the recoil from a "kick" to a "shove".

I see. Thank you for letting me know. I have not held a McMillan rem hunter. I know they are very popular.

have they, or anyone, actually got a carbon wrapped anything that doesn't start walking after around 5 shots? if so, they are worth as much as a ss barrel.

Tom

I Just stumbled on this thread as well. I'm the Shooting Team Manager for Proof Research, and also live here in MT. I own several of Proof's barrels in various calibers and platforms. I also own and have shot barrels from most of the major high end barrel manufacturers - Bartlien, Lilja, Shileen, Schneider, JP, etc.

Tom, we've been shooting the Proof Barrels in 3 gun and PRS/Long Range matches in a variety of calibers for years now, and I can tell you 100% that Proof barrels don't "walk after 5 shots, or frankly anything that most people will encounter.

I've shot 20 rounds in under 1-2 min. out of a 6.5-284 in match conditions (several times), and have shot thousands of rounds out of my lightweight 18" AR barrel in 3 Gun matches like the Iron Man, Crimson Trace, Stillwater Tactical, etc. Absolutely shot great in all of those situations.

Many of the top competitive shooters around the US are switching to Proof Barrels....and love them.

Nick Atkinson (top ranked 3 Gun Nation shooter) is one of our Shooting Team members and posted a heat test that he did with his carbon fiber AR barrel:
Carbon fibre barrels? - Page 2 - Rifle - Technical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I can't speak for the other carbon barrel makers, only Proof, who uses their proprietary materials and process.

In terms of the life-goal/ultimate lightweight, accurate hunting gun...I can't imagine a better barrel than a Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel. Shoots like a heavy barrel, feels like a lightweight barrel.

Thanks for your questions, keep them coming! And, if you see me, or any of the other Shooting Team members at an event/match/whatever come and say hello.

Chris

Chris, Tom that you directed that to is also a avid 1000 bench shooter.Here in the valley last I new he had shoot somewhere in the 6-8 world records by looking at his wall. He has stacks of 2's in the 1000 from practice.He thought my rifle, pre proof shoot well for such a light build,which is a packer.He is used to shooting barrels that look like drive shafts:D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts