Proof Research custom rifles

eddywitay

I was wondering If any one has any experience on their custom guns,I spoke with Proof Research about a long range hunting rig to and they are pretty expensive I was looking to do a 300 ultra mag throated for 210 burgers extended mag box one of their custom stocks a Jewell trigger and their carbon wrapped barrel and a titanium muzzle break and and a custom action I was told that they bought out three leading companies Lone wolf stocks and two others the guy I spoke with was very helpful and had good awnsers for all my questions but the price will knock your socks off and one other thing the accuracy guarantee was out of this world and he told me that they test the rifles at 100 yds,500 yds and 1000 yds and give you the targets.Now I hand load for every thing and get real in depth wit every thing when It comes to long-range shooting I was told that 100 group size would be in the 3/8 of an inch range now for the part that will make you puke the price$ 5,900,now I am bu no means cheep but are they worth this kind of cash or would I just be throwing a lot of extra cash away.and the custom action is a defiance machine with a little machine work to reduce overall weight. Any info from you guys would be great... THANKS

Bettin Customs builds the same type rifles,for less.Have heard good about them.You can get your own actions from Defiance,they make a light weight ,sheep hunter model,depending on caliber.MPI ,makes a stock of same type as Lonewolf. You can usually get a good smith of your choice to use components you like.There is a company just down from Proof that does a 3/8 '' goal at 100.They do alot of tactical type rifles,have seen many shot at range,very accurate.But will build what customer wants.There was a post recent on carbon barrels and Fifty driver replied,a real excellent post on ABS.Try a search.

I see your from Pa. talk to Bobby Hart or even 'Fifty Driver' aka Kirby Allen here on this site. There are alot of good 'smiths right here. 6k is a lot of cha-ching i'm sure you could get a very nice rig for less that would cover most of if not all the glass too.

$6k is a lot of cha-ching but it's hard to do a high end custom build for much less. I am having a .375 CheyTac built and the Smith is keeping his profit margin low but by the time all is said and done, we'll still be over $5k. And I am going to go with the ABS barrel. If they promise 3/8" MOA, then that's what I'll expect.

No rifle is worth 6k! unless we're talking about 1k heavy guns. I would bet my own money they won't out group my 3k, cheapo junk at 1k, on any day, EVER!

That being said, the blanks they will be using are excellent, as good as anything out there.

Tom

I'm looking at about $6k on my build (before glass) but I am also looking at reaching 2500 yards. I've decided to go with the Proof barrel so in about 6+ months (when I get back from the shooting match across the pond), I'll post some results.

I have a gun built on all the parts that proof uses and the owner of the barrel company they bought out put it together for me. It is a 338 edge and will shoot 3/8" at 100 and out to 2000 will holds its own. In my opinion they are to expensive but they are in business to make money. Like was said order your parts find a good smith and have them put it together.

There are some smiths on this site that could build you that rifle for a lot less. I have had a few customs built on this site and the rifles are extremely accurate for much less money. One smith was mentioned. I would email and talk with some of them before I spent that kind of money. Do a search on this forum and you will see, lots of experience and talent.

Actually, I am having a smith from this site do the work and I think that he is giving me a fair price. It's just that the components I have chosen are pricey--his labor is, by my judgement, very reasonable. The Proof barrel really shot things up as it is about twice the price of a standard barrel.

Thanks for the input.

Plus, in the "$6k" quote, I am including everything but glass: bipod, case, shipping, rounds for test fire, and rings.

I live about 4 miles from Proof. I have seen pre Proof rifles thatwhere shooters in the 1000+ yrd. range. I have seen a couple for sale on this site.One was about $3000 + in a 338 edge,would have liked it but was heavier and longer than I wanted.In longer barrels the weight savings is nice, if that is what you are looking for. I saw a used 338 Norma of theres Id love,but price is way high for used.You would like a post in LRH and shooting"DE LRKM unveil,Shawn Carlock,page 13. 338 edge +p ,300 gr at 3100. Video has hits at 2751 yrds.This relates to what your goal is.

sp6X6,
Good to know you live so close that way if they screw me, I know someone who can pay 'em a visit for me. :)

This is a "dream" rifle I am having put together so I set aside a generous budget. I may regret it and the wife is not happy about it, but I am doing it anyway. The Proof barrel is VERY expensive; I'll leave it at that.

I looked for the thread you mentioned but came up empty handed.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.