Prone with a bipod Vs Bench with a front rest

Firearrow

I have always done load development as I would be shooting in the field, on the ground prone with my bipod and rear bag. My reasoning was if I can develop a load under these conditions and reproduce it, I should be able to shoot that "same group" when I am not at the range.

So the reason for this thread is I wanted to throw out the question to everyone. For load development do you guys shoot prone with a bipod and rear bag so that you know exactly what you and your rifle can do. Or, for load development only, will you go to a bench and use a benchrest style front rest and rear bag to try and eleminate as much of the "human factor" as possible to see what the rifle and load can do.

All is done prone in the dirt with bipod and rear bag. I dont feel I give up anything and only gain. First and foremost I am a hunter, and with good prone form I can shoot .2's and .3's with the occasional .1 Maybe all the practice helps?

Jeff

I do both. For rifle set up, load work up, and to test the inherent capability of the rifle, I will use a bench with rests. Most of my hunting preparation, zeroing, and ballistics work is done from the prone/hunting position. My LR rigs generally shoot .25-.5MOA higher from a bench, or upright position compared to the prone position. Understanding this difference and practice is key considering quite a few of my long range kills have been from an upright position. A prone position is not always feasible due to snow, brush, angle,etc.

Thanks for the replys everyone. I mainly ask this because I am working up a load for my new .260, and what I have found is that I have two charge weights that will produce a 0.6 MOA group, Edge to Edge, at 200 yards string after string. When I did my COAL test I was hoping I would be landing on something around 0.5, but was still around 0.6 MOA. Every once in a while when the SHOOTER did his part I did get at or just a touch under 0.5, but not as consistently as I wanted.

I know at this point it is more the shooter, than the charge weight or COAL. I was just wondering if it would be worth my time to get up off the ground and do some benchrest style shooting to see what my rifle is really doing, minus the shooter input, with the different charge weights and COAL's.

I know the only way to truly tell is by trial and error.

I don't have much experience but the only thing I did not do prone off a bipod it the tall target test to figure out my scopes calibration. Seems to be working so far.

I prefer to shoot prone with bipod/rear bag and feel I don't give up anything.
A couple of years ago I built a good steady bench that was concreted into the ground in my yard to shoot 100 yards to test loads, scopes and zeros. However I found myself laying next to or under it more than anything.:rolleyes:
Now my neighbor uses it here and there and I just use it for locking a scope down and checking adjustments.

I prefer to shoot prone with bipod/rear bag and feel I don't give up anything.
A couple of years ago I built a good steady bench that was concreted into the ground in my yard to shoot 100 yards to test loads, scopes and zeros. However I found myself laying next to or under it more than anything.:rolleyes:
Now my neighbor uses it here and there and I just use it for locking a scope down and checking adjustments.

I love it. You have a bomb proof rain cover. Now you can shoot during any weather condition.

The local range only allows bench shooting. Once a load is developed and repeated, I go to a friend's place and try it out in a variety of positions. In areas that I hunt, prone is the least likely position used, kneeling and standing are more likely to be used with a 'bench-style' position the most likely position.

I'm in the crowd that prefers to as much as possible shoot for practice including load development like I shoot in the field as much as possible.

Consistency is the key to success.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.