Projectiles

Snowbird

I'm looking for opinions on a good short to medium range projectile for my vortek 50 cal. i've been interested in the federal bore lock Trophy Copper Muzzleloader Bullets and a few others. Am I paying for hype and marketing or have the improvements in the last 20 years worth it? the last muzzleloader i shot was pushing out a maxi ball.

fwiw, i will be using blackhorn powder and am considering switching to large rifle magnum primers instead of the 209's for less fouling.

Wasn't able to get the Federal Bor-lock to shoot well in mine, I liked the idea though.
Last year I used the Hornady all copper Monoflex speed sabot. Groups were about an inch with two pellets of Alliant blue. Did well (through and through on a small meat buck).

Ended up with a Hornady FTX (.45 cal tube gun) with a red crush rib and 110gr BH209. Shoots minute of deer. Lord willing we'll see how it does this season on game.
Good luck,
Shane

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.