Progressive reloader questions

wm5l

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] I was looking at a progressive reloader for my .45ACP and 9MM. What are you using? I like the free bullets with the Hornady machine but I have heard good things about the Dillon RL550B. Any suggestions?[/FONT][/FONT]

Dillion 550B is an awesome machine! I load .45, 9mm, 38, 357 and 44. I've never used the Hornady but can't imagine it can compare to the Dillion. The Dillion is worth every penny and then some!:D

I have a Hornady . I have had it about a year now . it works great . I load 45 acp with it . I also bought the auto brass feeder . the powder measuring insert that comes with it is not fine enough to be able to measure small amounts of powder . I then bought the pistol rotor and the pistol micrometer insert . now it will measure small amounts of powder very well . I have been as low as 3.6 without a problem . so with you loading pistol you can count on buying those items too . I would also recommend you buy a few extra case retainer springs part # 392363 . this spring holds the brass case into the shell holder plate . I had one get caught under the shell holder and ruined it . they cost $1.80 each June 2007 . that retainer spring is the only mishap I've had with it and I've loaded about 8,000 rounds with it . with the Hornady you buy the press , and the shell holder . if you get the brass feeder you also need the case feeder plate . and you will want the pistol inserts for the powder measure . and don't bother getting the powder through expander for cast lead bullets, I got one and it doesn't open the case enough for cast lead , but it should be ok for jackets . here are a couple pics of mine .
PC300261.jpg

PC300262.jpg

if you have any more questions just ask . Jim

Dillion 550B is an awesome machine! I load .45, 9mm, 38, 357 and 44. I've never used the Hornady but can't imagine it can compare to the Dillion. The Dillion is worth every penny and then some!:D

+1 I have a 550B that has between 1 & 2 hundred thousand cartridges loaded on it. Dillon stands behind there products and is a phone call away, and Happy to help answer any question you will ever have. There "No BS warranty" is tops. I've only had to use it once.

Shortly after I past the 100,000 mark the auto primer started acting up. Called them and they gave me some tips to try to see if it was just out of adjustment, the tips didn't fix the problem, so I called them back and they shipped out a complete new auto prime system Totally FREE of charge. They didnt skimp on shipping either. I had the replacement in three days!

If I had to buy another progressive, it would be a dillon, I would not even entertain the thought of getting anything else...

Just to add on my past post.

The No BS warranty covers anything and every thing that may go wrong, ever. Even if the cause of the problem is from wear or your miss handling. Thats 1st rate customer service any way you want to look at it and worth the added cost of the purchase price.

I've had the Dillon 550/550B, 650 and the 1050. They have all done what Dillon said they would do and done it quite well. I load ammo capable of .250 groups on the 1050 in 223 and 223AI and all the pistol ammo I could want... Mine is about 15 years old and still going strong.

The Hornady machine is comparable to the Dillon 650. It has a superior powder measure and is easier (and cheaper) to changeover. The unloading wire requires tweaking, and the retaining spring requires care. It doesn't come with a spare parts kit because it doesn't need spare parts. The machine runs trouble-free. People who have used both Hornady and Dillon prefer the AP.

I wouldn't make a decision based on free bullets. The machine can stand on its own merits.

I wouldn't make a decision based on free bullets. The machine can stand on its own merits.[/quote]

I agree about that BUT 300 dollars of bullets goes a long way to paying for a 350 dollar reloader, ya know? I am really looking hard at the Hornady. I am not cheap but the reviews are very good on both of them. That being said how can I get a Dillon for 50 bucks? I thank all you guys for you views...Jim

Wm,
The Hornady is a fine machine. I have one and really like it. I don't use it much but when I do it doesn't miss a beat. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.