Problems with the new Tikka 25 06

tscott

After a hard decision I ended up buying a new Tikka 25 06. I have cleaned the barrel after 3 shoot groups. I've loaded Nosler 115 BT and 100 BT's with three different powders. RL#22, RL#25 and IMR#4350. I started low and worked up. I get better groups out of my Rem 700, 300 Win Mag at 600 yards than Im getting with the new gun at 100. My groups are terrible. What am I doing wrong? Or do you think there is a barrel problem?
Tim G

WOW! I'm speechless. It has to be something thats wrong with the rifle or scope or mounts, sounds like to me for a couple reasons. First off, Tikkas come with a 1 MOA guarantee, there accurate rifles. Second 25-06 are not finicky calibers and are usually very inherantly accurate calibers in good rifles. Third you are using 2 known accurate bullets and at least 2 good well known powders IMR-4350 and RL-22. I dont know what could be going wrong, but I dont think its your loading procedure anyways. The barrels cleaned, man I"m stumped. Usually 51g-52g IMR-4350 and 100g btips shoots great for many people. Kinda universal load right there. Also 57g RL-22/100g btip is a good one, as well as 53g RL-22/115g btip. I have a lot of loads for 25-06 and different makes of bullets, weight, and different powders, as well as couple different primers tried. Try some H-4831 maybe. My winchester absolutely shows a preference for this powder over any other. My ruger shot really well with IMR-4350 and RL-22. I dont know what else to recomend. Make sure everything is tight, as usual and maybe give Tikka a call. See what they say. I sure dont want you to turn on the 25-06 yet, its a great cartridge believe me. If anythign you may have got a lemon. It happens. Happened to me with a Savage in 270 WSM. Rifle wouldn't group better then 1.25" at 100 yards with probly 50-60 different loads trhough it. SO much for my Savage being a shooter! Keep us posted on how it does and maybe some other members will chime in.

Buy a box of premium ammo and try that after you check screws scope and such. If it dosen't shoot to the 1" standard call Sako. I wouldn't even bring up you reloaded for this gun, might void the warrenty.

Is the scope new or already a known used scope? As mentioned double ck the scope mounts & try some premium factory ammo.. Maybe somebody has a Tikka that they are using factory ammo in the .26-06 that could share some info? 1st I've hear of the Tikka not being a shooter or having any problems. Did you get the stainless?

Spino, The scope is a Nikon 3 to 9 that worked great on a Rem 700. It is tight. I am going to try some factory rounds before I send it back. I came within a whisker of buying the 270 wsm, instead of the 25 06.
Tim G

Remember that either caliber has exceptional accuracy capabilities and without a doubt long range performance. You may need to buy & try several different brands of premium ammo to find the one that works in your gun. Try a couple different bullet weights & see what she likes.

Don't give up on her just yet.. You picked the .25-06 for a good reason (It's a great caliber).

110 Gr. Nosler AccuBond 3300 $30.88 -- Conley Precision Ammo

Oh, I use these guys for my ammo before I have started to reload my own to see how they shoot, they seem to have tighter tollerences that the factory premium ammo, but you may have to wait for 3/4wks: http://www.cpcartridge.com/25-06P.htm

Best of luck!

You did not say what kind of Tikka it was some are free floated some are not. I would check to see if it is free floated. If it is not sand the pressure point out of it then try shoot it. Your rifle might not like B-tips either I have seen this on a couple of 25/06's. Maybe try a 120 HP hornady or a 117 Sierra. I would also give H-4831 a try.

dacor- The new gun is a Tikka T3 Lite. I did try a 120 factory hollow point and it liked them better but not as good as I expect. I'll be hunting for elk now so my 25 06 will be my project when I return.
Thanks for the help.
Tim G.

Tim you might want to check the pressure point tword the front. My dad has a 7mm-08 in a Tikka T3 lite and he ended up sanding it out because it was not touching the same on one side of the barrel as the other side. Shoots well now.

Tim I have found in some Tikka's and Sako's that they have to much free bore, you might want to check this out as well. I have sent 2 Sako's back on the 1 MOA garantee and had both replaced by Sako although it's a slow process. good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.