Problems setting Redding full-length sizing die

G22inSC

I am having issues trying to setup a redding full-length die for a .270 win. The instructions list two different methods to use.

The first says to screw the die into the press until it touches the shell holder when the ram is raised. This method is for use in more than one rifle.

The second says to do the above process and then back off the die (assuming counter clockwise) approximately 1/2 turn. Try the case in the rifle and if the bolt closes with difficulty, adjust the die downward (assuming clockwise) toward the shell holder a portion of a turn and resize. This process is repeated until the bolt will just freely close on the resized case. I have read other places that state to initially back the die off a full turn or more. Some state you may need several turns before the bolt will not close.

My problem is no matter what I do to set the die, the bolt will close freely. The rifle is a Browning A-Bolt; however, I don't believe that should make a difference. This is my first attempt at loading rifle cartridges and just can't seem to figure it out. I was trying to find the point at which the bolt would NOT close so I know when to start going the other direction. I have tried between a few turns downward after the die just touches the shell holder to three or four turns before the die touches the shell holder. With every setting, the bolt still closes with what I believe is the same resistance. What should I do? I greatly appreciate any help.

You may have to fire the brass 2-3 times so that it can expand to your full chamber dimensions. (especially if firing medium to light loads). How many times has the brass in question been fired?

As kraky1 said try to chamber the once fired brass before you run it through the sizer. It will more than likely go right in with no pressure. If that is the case it won't matter where you set the die you just want the neck to get back to size. I'd probably do 1-1.5 turns off the shell holder.

Wait until they won't chamber easily then worry about the height of your die. It will make more sense then.

Last edited:
For now, color the brass neck with a sharpie and adjust the die until it just sizes the whole neck. The ink will rub off the sized area. This will be close. Then, after 2-3 firings you can adjust down a little more if it gets difficult to chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.