Problem with Remington 700 bolt........

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Catahoula, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Catahoula

Catahoula Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    I just bought a Rem. 700 in 270. Can't get the bolt out because the little button in front of the trigger won't push in. Any advice on how to get it unstuck?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

2. kc0pph

kc0pph Well-Known Member

Take the screws out of the bottom of the rifle and remove the stock. Then try and move the button with your hand. If not you may be able to move the bolt release by hand. You might have a bent part or the spring may be on wrong. If you have to take it apart and need help getting it back together let me know and ill send you some pictures.

3. Bob J

Bob J Well-Known Member

I've typically gone to a few drops of Kroil when I run into similar situations in the past.... Let it soak in for an hour or more and then try it....

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Sometimes a stock interferes with the bolt release and the in-letting has to be opened a little
    for this to clear. also the trigger guard may interfere and need some clearing.

After removing the bottom metal Look at the trigger without removing the barreled action
    and Test the bolt release. This is fairly common if the barreled action is not bedded and was
    rotated slightly during assembly.

The bolt release should not bind, so the problem will probably be the stock or the bottom metal.

J E CUSTOM