Problem with Near Mfg. Sako Mount

cuutter

I just finished 3 Sako M995 in 338 Lapua Mag for a friend of mine and his Dad and Son. I put Near Mfg. scope bases on all of them. Whet to the range today to start load development and none of the rifles would eject the round. Would kick it back into the action. Here's the pics of what it is doing. Have any of you ever run into this? I will call Near but it won't be in till Tuesday. Hoping to figure something out sooner than that.

Thanks in advanced for any help you may have.

Wayne

Near Sako Mount.jpg

Near Sako Mount 2.jpg

Thats interesting. Out of curiosity are you sure the brass ejects normally without the mount on there? The reason I ask is I have an M995 in the Warbird. After recently bear hunting with it I noticed less than satisfactory shell ejection. After shooting I seem to have to open the bolt and kind of roll the rifle to the right to get the brass to fall out before chambering the next round. It does however seem that you have a clearance issue with that rail on there.

What Black Tail Hunter is writing, comes almost to the truth. You got most likely a clearance problem by using the "wrong" equipment concerning rail and may be also the ring - mounts. I've just read an article in a swedish gun magazine (vapen) where they talk about semi - custom build ups of Sako and Tikka rifles. They also use rails under the different projects, but always the originals made by Sako itself! lightbulbAsk a competent dealer in the USA, or directly Beretta's customer service about this. Further on they are using mounts made by Spuhr (top quality and expensive). You might also use original optilocks for that purpose to get the right clearance. :rolleyes:

Hope I could help you.

After alot of research prior to mounting my scope the general consensus was that the original optilock rings wont make muster when shooting one of the "super magnum" chambered rifles with a relatively heavy optic. I went with Warne rings and have been very happy. However possibly due to the ballistics of the Lapua or the range capability Cuutter is trying to achieve with these rifles he may need the cant built into the rail that you wont get with rings alone.

Black Tail Hunter, All 3 rifles were 30-378 with the Factory Scope Mounts and Rings. They ejected fine when set up like that. My customers wanted to go with a Picatiny Rail on the rifles. I contacted Near Mfg. because I had heard he made a mount for the M995. He makes these mounts for these rifles. So that everyone understands I am not complaining about Near Mfg. I delt with the owner (Roger I think) and very nice guy. Great customer service with what I needed. I'm not sure why I had this problem and haven't talk to Roger yet. I needed to finish the rifles because all 3 of the guys are headed to Alaska hunting. Here's what I did to fix the problem.

Near Mount Rev.jpg

No big deal. Just a little maching time and coating.

Thank you guys for responding

Wayne

Richard Near, owner or Near Mfg. has some of, if not, the best customer service anyone could ever ask for. I would contact him directly and explain your problem and I'll be shocked if he doesn't do something to fix the problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.