problem with bolt cocking piece pin

Savagebien

the rifle is a savage model 11 left hand. i had the bolt and accidentally pushed the cocking piece pin and now its stuck in the fired position, and it wont go back in the rifle in this position, so how do i get it back to the unfired position? it seems pretty stubborn and i haven't had luck getting the allen screw out of the back of the bolt. any help would b great! thanks!

Put an allen wrench in the bolt. Make sure that it is about 30-45 degrees to the bolt handle. Put it on the floor and step on it.

Unscrew the bolt enough to re-cock the pin.

Or take everything apart and see how it all works. While you got it open make and install a bolt lift kit with an empty 357 shell and a 5/16 ball bearing.

hey, got it done!! just put a big one piece allen wrench in it and stepped on that turd! it popped when it came loose. got the bolt taken apart and took the ejector out which is what i was originally after. and can you explain the bolt lift kit? is this to get the pin to move back when ppl have the problem i just did? thanks!

hey, got it done!! just put a big one piece allen wrench in it and stepped on that turd! it popped when it came loose. got the bolt taken apart and took the ejector out which is what i was originally after. and can you explain the bolt lift kit? is this to get the pin to move back when ppl have the problem i just did? thanks!

The bolt lift kit is a DIY remedy that reduces the friction between the cocking sleeve and the bolt you just took off. It makes lifting the bolt (cocking) easier after firing a round. Basically, makes the action cycle smoother.

Take a de-primed 357 or 38 shell and trim off the walls of the shell down to the flash hole. Locktite or glue a 5/16" ball bearing into the primer pocket.

Here comes the tricky part. You'll need to remove the thickness of the rim of the shell from the end of the bolt or the end of the cocking sleeve. I've also heard of putting a washer under the head of the bolt to offset the end of the bolt the correct amount.

What it is doing is concentrating the friction onto the single point of the bearing. As-is the friction is from the cocking sleeve onto the end of the bolt.

Hope that made sense. There are some write-ups on Savage Shooters.

Better solution

Remove the main bolt screw, turn 3/16" off the threads. then drill and ream the screw so it can be tapped .250 X 28tpi. Insert a .250 X 28 tpi X .750 cone point set screw inside the main screw.

Make a small shouldered cap for the cocking piece sleeve. Center drill a small dimple in this cap. Insert the cap in the cocking piece sleeve. Then screw the main screw into the back of the bolt. You can adjust externally the spring tension on your firing pin spring with a 1/8" allen wrench through the existing allen hole in the main screw. The cone point reduces the friction and make cocking much easier. This tackles to problems at the same time.
Rustystud

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.