Problem with belt cartridge

Hope its not too late to ask, and since you guys have been such help to me.

I was wondering if its a must in owning a chronograph, since from what I've read, they sound like a must in accurate loads.

Hope its not too late to ask, and since you guys have been such help to me.

I was wondering if its a must in owning a chronograph, since from what I've read, they sound like a must in accurate loads.

They are an excellent tool when used correctly.

-- richard

Case lube is a must for the big bottlenecks, but too much lube, or getting it on the shoulder can cause issues with hydraulic denting. Also, check to make sure the vent hole in the die body isn't plugged up. It's in the threaded area somewhere, and can be hard to spot if it's plugged up. I've run into some issues with case lube in a few of my rifles, mostly my AR-10/15. The lube burns and sticks to the chamber, and will jamb the rounds after a few firings. I have started actually washing my brass in hot soapy water after sizing, then throwing it in the oven at 275F for a half hr. It comes out silky smooth and smelling like "Spring Rain":D.
Now I need to figure out how to get the lube off several thousand rounds that my late uncle loaded up years ago. I don't think they'd handle the washing and oven too well:rolleyes:

Will I lack important data for loads without one? Or can I suffice

you can get by , but you really have no idea what your velocity is , or your velocity extreme spread . at longer distance shooting a high extreme spread load will make you have a lot of vertical in your group . I'd say a chrony is a handy tool and needs to be put on your list of needed items . Christmas is right around the corner . LOL Jim

you can get by , but you really have no idea what your velocity is , or your velocity extreme spread . at longer distance shooting a high extreme spread load will make you have a lot of vertical in your group . I'd say a chrony is a handy tool and needs to be put on your list of needed items . Christmas is right around the corner . LOL Jim

Ye, Jim, christmas is right around the corner ^.^ *nudge nudge* I accept presents from all santas

So, I see that people go over the max loads in the reloading manuals, and I was wondering if I was going too do so.. what safety precautions should I follow. What signs do I look for indicating over pressure, when should I stop.

And are YOUR loads over the max?

I am not trying to be rude here or pick a fight but if you don't know what to look for with excessive pressure I don't think that you should be doing any reloading yet. It seems to me that you have a large amount of reading to do just for the safety aspect of this alone let alone getting good consistant loads. The first sign of excessive pressure would be a hard to open bolt. Right there it is telling you that you have gone too far, cratered and or flattened primers are also another good indication as well as ejector marks on the case head. I really do emplore you to either do some more research or ask someone that has experience with reloading to actually show you how to do this SAFELY. The amount of pressures being generated in some of these loads can be quite extreme and if not listened to when it's trying to tell you something, can be VERY dangerous to both you and your firearm. Don't get me wrong, I don't proclaim to know everything and yes I have made mistakes both in the past as well as recently that turned out to be fairly costly and could of been harmful as well. I just don't want to log on here and see pictures of your gun blown into peices and you missing some of yours.

Last edited:
I don't think it's rude to save a life.

The Internet's great for tips and tricks. But, I see lots of indications that guys are using the Internet as a shortcut without necessarily applying safe practices.

RTFM

bman is dead on.Your next step should be to purchase at least one reloading manual.There is a large amount of information in the manuals that you won't find on line unless you know what to ask.Don't even bother looking at the load data until you have read and re-read the procedures and safety warnings first.Magnum rifle reloading can be quirky,with seemingly small changes resulting in big and sometimes dangerous pressure increases.I've only been reloading for over 30 years,and am no expert.But in that time I've managed to not damage any guns,or body parts,by being aware of what i'm doing,and why.Read the manuals,then read them again.

What I meant is, are there any EXTRA safety precautions when loading over the max. Should I only load in extra increments of .5 grains, which is what I'm thinking.

I do have a manual, Hornady V.8. And I have read/re-read and re-read over the safety tips and internal ballistics of the book.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.