Problem with belt cartridge

Mada

Hi, new to reloading here and I've ran into a problem (or noob error). I just started reloading and my first cartridge to reload is the 7mmRM. I've been saving the brass I get from shooting factories and I've began to reload them. I've encountered what I see as the "bulge problem". Yes. Just above the belt of my once fired brass measures .513, while factory the brass is .507. I've tried to FL resize the brass, mainly just to get a hang of reloading, but the cartridge wont fit into the die. About half an inch from the cartridge head is when the cartridge can no longer be push into the die without extreme effort. At this point I stopped trying not knowing if I should proceed and cam the cartridge into the die (hoping to eliminate the bulge) or if the bulge is a real problem. Please help :(

The 'bulge' is not larger than the chamber it was fired in. If it's from your rifle it won't matter.

Rimmed, belted or rimless bottle neck reloads need to be resized so the shoulder fits the chamber. Meaning, forget about the belt and size the same as you would for any other bottle neck round.

Mada,

for starters, it sounds like you need a better lube. Something like the old Imperial sizing die wax, now offered by Redding. Little goes a long way, and it should ease the feeling of pressure as you beat down on the press handle. It takes some degree of force to get a case fully resized, but it sounds like you're on the verge of sticking one, and tearing the rim off on the downstroke. As Boom Tube said, if these were cases originall fired in your rifle, it shouldn't take too much to get them to chamber easily again. Forget the belt, and size them as you would a conventional rimless bottlenecked cartridge, and you'll do fine.

Mada,

for starters, it sounds like you need a better lube. Something like the old Imperial sizing die wax, now offered by Redding. Little goes a long way, and it should ease the feeling of pressure as you beat down on the press handle. It takes some degree of force to get a case fully resized, but it sounds like you're on the verge of sticking one, and tearing the rim off on the downstroke. As Boom Tube said, if these were cases originall fired in your rifle, it shouldn't take too much to get them to chamber easily again. Forget the belt, and size them as you would a conventional rimless bottlenecked cartridge, and you'll do fine.
lube was the first thing that came to mind for me too

Thats what I was thinking about aswell, to use lube, which i did but maybe mine isnt "lubey" enough. i also read about something called neck resizing? but I heard that you just set the die as you would to FL and back it off a bit. Which is a problem when i cant fit the cartridge far enough.. would the round part of the piece that knocks the primer out be good enough to redo the neck to fit a bullet?

Mada,

No, neck sizing is a different issue, and it cannot be doen (in most cases) by simply backing off a FL die. You need a true Neck Sizing die if you're going to do this, one that touches only the neck and is not touching the body. Personally, I reccomend against it, particularly for hinting ammunition. You'll eventually have chambering issues with this, and it will usually manage to come at a very inopportune time.

Try the lube solution first, but stick to the FL sizing. I usually recommend a chamber type gage, such as the Wilsons, or a bump gage like the Hornady or Sinclair, just to make sure you're getting adequate clearance where needed, and no more.

It sounds like I have a similar problem with my 270 Win.

It's simply hard to FL size even with a Forster Coax Press and Imperial Sizing Wax. Apparently my chamber is at or a wee bit over max diameter at the base.

I intend to get a neck or collet die and only FL size every 3rd or 4th firing to avoid working the brass (and my elbow) more than necessary.

Nonetheless, Kevin and others make a valid point about ending up with ammo that may be hard to chamber at the worst time. ..or, worse yet, stick.

I figure I'll keep some premium FL sized loads around for hunting. Of course, you need good dope since the MV, etc may not be the same.

I'll probably rebarrel before too long anyways.

Happy hunting.
-- richard

The idea of 'neck sizing' by backing a FL die off a bit is common but flawed. A LOT of very intelligent and very knowledgeable reloaders would challange the use of FL dies to neck size; if it was really that simple there would be no market for dedicated neck sizing dies.

Thanks for the info, and since we're still on the subject, I understand that resizing IS a step in reloading (of course) but if i'm just reloading for ONE rifle. and the cartridge does chamber just fine. Can I skip the step of resizing and proceed to reloading the cartridge?

btw, I plan on reloading for both hunting and getting the best accuracy out of my rifle for goal of becomming a 1k yard member. :D

Thanks for the info, and since we're still on the subject, I understand that resizing IS a step in reloading (of course) but if i'm just reloading for ONE rifle. and the cartridge does chamber just fine. Can I skip the step of resizing and proceed to reloading the cartridge?

btw, I plan on reloading for both hunting and getting the best accuracy out of my rifle for goal of becomming a 1k yard member. :D

You could try scotch tape to hold the bullet in the neck. But, it'd probably be better to at least size part of the neck down about .001-.002" smaller than the bullet so that it won't fall out before you squeeze the trigger. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.