Problem 700 SPS

I agree on the fire lapping I can't control any of the process after pulling the trigger I wonder how much is getting lapped and where, is the throat getting more than the rest of barrel I just don't trust it would rather hand lap then I'm in control of entire process just makes me feel better lol.

I forgot to mention that I did the David Tubbs fire lapping kit on it and it didn't change a thing. Even called up the company and they were unsure why that would happen but did not recommend a re-run. I think I'll go with the lapping compound next time for more control and less powder burnt.

Smith cost for me are also high. That was my main concern with putting more into the SPS than selling and going a different brand.
Fire-lapping is not good...That will wear down your rifling, and cut back on barrel life.

I would have a smith hand-lap the bore, which is alot better for it than fire-lapping. Fire-lapping is an absolute last-ditch effort, in my opnion.

how about u spend ur dollars on all ur custom crap and I'll hand lap my barrels myself not by a smith bed the recoil lug and develope a good load I'll still have enough money to buy another rifle to play with while u wonder why u got 3000 dollars in a rifle I could out shoot u with my tv veture I promise it doesn't wear lipstick it wears a bushnell

course you could spend $1700 on a Savage custom shop target grade rifle, and probably start out shooting in the low threes. Or maybe a basic LRPV rifle and start out shooting sub half inch groups at the ghastly price of $1200
gary

Your probably right about the .5 groups Gary but with little effort I can get that for the $ you stated plus I enjoy trying get them to shoot some people like to pay to get things done.I don't, I don't pay for anything I can do myself wether it be guns or my vehicals or my chainsaws I just fix them myself but that's just me

Hell, I have a 100% factory 700 5R MilSpec ($1,100) that I bought, slapped a scope on it, and haven't touched anything else, and it will shoot .313" groups with Berger 168 VLD's and 44.0gr of Varget...

Here's the gun...

12E12E7A-13E3-4B88-A2E0-06B7215E8918_zpsthw7lnop.jpg

Here's the target...

F4D8AF24-AC7B-4C88-8FDD-205386A5E195_zps0o0decse.jpg

0C5D3AC4-60C6-4C21-A9F5-7504C5F715F7_zpsdgda1vvt.jpg

It will also shoot a nice 24-shot hotlap group... Stainless barrels are the best. :D

E04F0BEA-4992-48B5-A832-455D460D1A4F-545-000000D6DDDB7663.jpg

I think 5r rifling is the best thing for rifles since the invention of rifling I have tc venture 06 that's all I did was put a Bushnell on it .5 moa with multiple brands and .3 with 50gr. 4064 165gr
interlocs I can't send pics yet with my phone but have some targets also with impressive groups from the old tc

Your probably right about the .5 groups Gary but with little effort I can get that for the $ you stated plus I enjoy trying get them to shoot some people like to pay to get things done.I don't, I don't pay for anything I can do myself wether it be guns or my vehicals or my chainsaws I just fix them myself but that's just me

now I've said this many times before on this board. My favorite dog gun is a 700VS that I completely rebuilt. Not the most accurate by far, but one of the best off hand guns I've ever shot at any price. I don't have a fortune wrapped up in the rifle, and maybe closer to $850 without sights. But I got a lot of elbow grease in it. When I got it, it was a rock solid four and a quarter inch gun, and now is a fairly steady low fours rifle. A new barrel would probably put in the mid threes. I also know that this rifle will never enter my heart like a classic Savage 99 or a Hi-Wall or Lo-Wall. Now the average Joe wouldn't have even slightly put up with that crappy Remington! I wouldn't blame them even slightly!

Now back to that LRPV a second or two. This rifle shoots so well out of the box that quite a few long range shoots have banned them from competition. A comparison would also be the ban of the Remington Mod 40. That's good company for sure. The custom shop rifles are usually built off the PTA dual port action with the factory target trigger. I've only seen one in the flesh, it was a 6BR that came with a sub .20" test target using factory Federal 6BR ammo. P.S. did an article of one a few years back, and it was in 22-250. It came with a test target that was in the .17" range with factory Federal ammo!
gary

Well Gents, Remington paid to return the gun to them and I figured what the heck. Got it back today and they replaced the whole barrel assembly, lapped the barrel, and tested for accuracy. I guess a barrel problem was an accurate diagnosis. Bad news is I have to go and rip out my bedding job and redo it before the weekend. Hopefully we get some realistic groups instead of shotgun accuracy:D.

JROCK, that is good news. Hopefully that will help you out! One thing I did notice when reading through this entire thread is your response to MudRunner's pics back on page 2:

Thanks for those picts and good explanation. They do look cratered like in the first picture.

It sounds like you were loading up minimum charge loads, which would explain this. If you upped the charge a bit, maybe it'll help your accuracy. Just something to think about. It would make sense to me, unless I misread or am misunderstanding something.

JROCK, that is good news. Hopefully that will help you out! One thing I did notice when reading through this entire thread is your response to MudRunner's pics back on page 2:

It sounds like you were loading up minimum charge loads, which would explain this. If you upped the charge a bit, maybe it'll help your accuracy. Just something to think about. It would make sense to me, unless I misread or am misunderstanding something.

I worked up starting from about a low-mid powder range from manuals up to 3 grains over the max published value and the cratered primers were the same in all. They didn't replace the bolt so I'll still have that problem but I can live with them as long as the gun shoots straight. Get to resize all my brass tonight to fire form!

I once had a lot of accuracy problems with a 700 bdl in 243. Never got it to shoot right. Finally got the action trued up and an aftermarket barrel put on by Grit on this site. Search for "build thread for phpd1295" to see what was done to it and the results. I will never buy a factory rifle again unless it's for a donor action.

I didn't see anyone mention the dreaded J lock. If your rifle has it, remove it and install a new firing pin assembly.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.