Problem 700 SPS

Mudd

I have two blued Rem 700 26" 300 RUM barrels if ya want, one is brand new never fired, came off a new Rem 700
the other has less than 20 rounds through it by original owner,
I never bothered to shoot either one as the barrels were yanked off on the day of purchase
$100 plus USPS shipping for both

I'll keep you posted. Right now isn't a good time, but give me a bit and we can certainly work out a deal.

Are they varmint or sporter barrels?

both sporters cm blued, also have a stainless 26" sporter with maybe 100 rnds through it, came off my LSS 300 RUM

Then you are a lucky man. I could not find a smith within a 1 hour drive from home that was even willing to remove the original factory barrel. Most places like Williams gunsight have a long list of fees.

Custom Gunsmith Services from Williams Gun Sight Company

For whatever reason, people are leaving the industry, at least here in MI. With fees like these, a custom action is a deal.

Lap locking lugs $75.00P.O.R.
Install Sako extractors 90.00-190.00
True front of receiver 75.00
True bolt face 75.00
Lap barrel 85.00
Adjust rifle trigger when honeing is needed Mod 70 Win, Ruger 77 MKII all lever Rifles Min. 75.00
Adjust adjustable rifle trigger 55.00-65.00
Install Pre-threaded barrel 100.00-150.00
Custom Barrel Installation 325.00
Blueprint Action 235.00
Cryo-Accurizing 80.00
Custom chambering P.O.R.
Glass bed action 125.00
Glass bed lug only 85.00
Free float barrel 70.00
Pillar bed rifle (includes free float barrel) 225.00
Trigger Job on 870-1100-742-7400 60.00
Lap Scope Rings 50.00

I can't tell you what my smith charges me...That's between he and I. And I'd about guarantee you it's not what most people pay at other places.

**** man with those prices im going to quit cutting timber and become a smith lol.u can cut cost by doing a few steps urself like bedding with the glass installing new trigger as oposed to polishing u can hand lap the barrel and scope rings also these steps are pretty easy most companies offer very detailed instructions maybe you are not into tinkering but I enjoy it. It saves me a little money and its rewarding getting a rifle to 1/2 moa all by yourself

I can't tell you what my smith charges me...That's between he and I. And I'd about guarantee you it's not what most people pay at other places.

A couple guys I work for never spend a dime. Doesn't mean I'm free though. I have my set fees but trade labor all the time. We don't care if your getting a deal. Why not give your guy a free plug and post his regular price?

Those prices from Williams look to be in the ball park. I doubt anyone is getting rich at that rate. You would do better cutting timber 6 hours a day then you will performing those gunsmith services 12 hours a day.

On factory barrels, cutting a new crown or lapping the bore if needed is pretty good practice but beyond that I think spending the money to set one back for new threads and a chamber is a false economy. Since the fitting costs are the same, I would rather take my chances on a premium barrel at that point than hoping the factory barrel will shoot better.

Gohring, the point I was trying to make is that with a Savage I don't need a smith for anything at all. Most of the smiths I have spoken to are working out of a shop that is an addition to their garage (working from home). Most of their machinery was paid off years ago and their overheads are extremely low. I highly doubt they would set up a blank for chambering the way hired gun would. Consequently, there is a high probability that any of the local smiths would turn my expensive blank into something equivalent to a factory barrel anyhow, with an eccentric chamber that is possibly oversized too....

I am currently rebuilding a Sheldon 15x60 lathe and when I am done I will start practicing chambering on some of the "junk" sporter factory barrels I have lying around before I try anything with a good blank. Given the location I am moving to in a couple of years, it would be a long way to any smith at all, so I plan to be self sufficient.

**** man with those prices im going to quit cutting timber and become a smith lol.u can cut cost by doing a few steps urself like bedding with the glass installing new trigger as oposed to polishing u can hand lap the barrel and scope rings also these steps are pretty easy most companies offer very detailed instructions maybe you are not into tinkering but I enjoy it. It saves me a little money and its rewarding getting a rifle to 1/2 moa all by yourself

that's how I started also just jump in and try it you will muck some up that best way though,good for u ,and good luck in sure you'll be fine

A couple guys I work for never spend a dime. Doesn't mean I'm free though. I have my set fees but trade labor all the time. We don't care if your getting a deal. Why not give your guy a free plug and post his regular price?

Those prices from Williams look to be in the ball park. I doubt anyone is getting rich at that rate. You would do better cutting timber 6 hours a day then you will performing those gunsmith services 12 hours a day.

On factory barrels, cutting a new crown or lapping the bore if needed is pretty good practice but beyond that I think spending the money to set one back for new threads and a chamber is a false economy. Since the fitting costs are the same, I would rather take my chances on a premium barrel at that point than hoping the factory barrel will shoot better.

Being that my smith isn't a smith for a living, he's a machinist by day, smith by night. He's not trying to make a living doing it. He's just a BR shooter & hunter that does it to help folks out because there's a lack of good smiths in my area. He's busy as hell year round as it is, so, no need to post up a free plug for him. Plus, the busier he gets, the lomger it takes to get MY rifles back. :D

Resetting a factory chamber once the throat is shot is definitely a waste. At that point it gets another new barrel.

I'm not by no means a smith just a dumb logger but I enjoy messin with rifles in not going to sit and knock gunsmiths they can do hell of alot more to a rifle than me but learned some steps I can do to save me money its hard to go custom on a logger salary lol.

I can't justify full custom, as my salary doesn't allow for it. Only reason I have all these customs is because I come across a good deal on parts and build a rifle cheap, because my smith has really good prices.

sounds like mudrunner has got an eye for the diamonds in the ruff like me I can usually find some good deals they just need a little work that's all.lol.

sounds like mudrunner has got an eye for the diamonds in the ruff like me I can usually find some good deals they just need a little work that's all.lol.

Actually, I usually buy a cheap rifle then a barrel in the classifieds or off ebay, then piece it all together, take it to the smith when I got all the pieces, and let him do his magic. Hasn't failed me so far.

500$ for the sps 10$ for lapping compound 3$for bedding compound 8 for a six pack Michelob light =1moa

I forgot to mention that I did the David Tubbs fire lapping kit on it and it didn't change a thing. Even called up the company and they were unsure why that would happen but did not recommend a re-run. I think I'll go with the lapping compound next time for more control and less powder burnt.

Smith cost for me are also high. That was my main concern with putting more into the SPS than selling and going a different brand.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.