priming 408 Cheytac case

trueblue

For those on here that shoot a rifle based on the 408 Cheytac case, how are you installing primers when reloading ? Do they sell a priming tool that will handle this big case, or do you need to modify something ? Also, what reloading press are you using ? I am looking at the RCBS Ammomaster. Anyone using this press ? I do not have a rifle yet, just trying to sort out specifics first. Any other specifics on reloading gear for this case would be appreciated.

I do not have my rifle yet, so this is purely theorectical. I use the RCBS hand priming tool which uses a standard shell holder out of the press. It is my plan to use it for priming. The tool is pretty good. I have noticed if you use a primer pocket uniformer, it seems to run out of stroke when trying to seat all of the primers with a consistent pressure.

I have a 408 and a 338-408 the rcbs hand priming tool will not work. I use my rock chucker press to prime the cases its a slow process

I too use my press. It isnt a big deal since it is a relatively low volume job.

I have a 408 and a 338-408 the rcbs hand priming tool will not work. I use my rock chucker press to prime the cases its a slow process

Actually it will work after you grind off the area that interferes with the shell holder (the shell holder is HUGE!). You will also need to dremel out the bottom of the hole in the shellholder so it fits correctly in the hand tool. 10 minutes total and you are in business.

That is what I did and it works fine. I have 2 shellholders, one that I leave in the RCBS priming tool and one I use for the press.
AJ

So a rock chucker press is big enough for a 408 case?

Thanks,
Joden

I don't have a 408 CheyTac, but I do have a 505 Gibbs, my dies are 1" diameter so any single stage press from the Rockchucker Supreme on up will work if it has a 1 1/4" -12TPI thread in the press. The Ammomaster has a 1 1/2"-12TPI in the press with an adaptor for 7/8"-14TPI. If your dies are 1" diameter, I suggest you get a Rockchucker Supreme and order the 1 1/4"-12 x 1"-14 bushing adaptor RCBS #R57191.
I can tell you that the hand priming tool that utilises shell holders will work, the universal type will not.
I prime on my press, as I have the universal hand primer.

Cheers.
gun)

I don't have a 408 CheyTac, but I do have a 505 Gibbs, my dies are 1" diameter so any single stage press from the Rockchucker Supreme on up will work if it has a 1 1/4" -12TPI thread in the press. The Ammomaster has a 1 1/2"-12TPI in the press with an adaptor for 7/8"-14TPI. If your dies are 1" diameter, I suggest you get a Rockchucker Supreme and order the 1 1/4"-12 x 1"-14 bushing adaptor RCBS #R57191.
I can tell you that the hand priming tool that utilises shell holders will work, the universal type will not.
I prime on my press, as I have the universal hand primer.

Cheers.
gun)

So the rock chucked is long enough then. Ladie at RCBS said the rock bucked will accept a coal of 4 1/4" so I assume the 408 case is shorter than that?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.