Primers & power - yahoo

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Varmint Hunter, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I found a new (to me) little gun shop on a side street, in a tiny little town, in central PA. Found Federal & CCI BR primers and a recently arrived inventory of IMR powder.

I felt like a kid in a candy store. Bought all kinds of supplies. They were also affiliated with a local sportsman club with a 300yd range. 30 concrete benches and facilities for several different shooting disciplines. Cost - $30/yr, so I joined the club even though I live out of state and will shoot there only on rare occasions.

Continued my travels to a friends farm and slapped a few groundhogs just for the he__ of it. Killed the little buggers out to 175yds with the tiny 17HMR. I don't take shots beyond 200 with the HMR; not because I can't make reliable hits but because the terminal performance is lacking on the fat PA hogs.

Sometimes things just go your way!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  2. Moman

Moman Well-Known Member

Now that's a good day!

3. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

what's the name of the tiny little town?

4. Idaho_Elk_Huntr

Idaho_Elk_Huntr Well-Known Member

I didnt get to shoot any groound hogs but went to Walmart and found 30 lbs of powder (RL22 and Varget) and bulk 22 ammo I could use this week

5. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

That's just what I was wondering?

6. Varmint Hunter

The store was in Mifflin and the range was in Mainville. They are both within 3-5mi of route 80.

7. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

Figured it was somewhere around there.
    Next time you're through, check out Mifflin County Sportsmans Association Range about 8 miles from the store.
    Beautiful range with boards out to 500 yards and a board at 1000.

8. Varmint Hunter

Thanks for the info. I've been looking for a shooting range with a longer rifle range (400-600) for quite some time. I'll check out the Mifflin County Sportsman Assoc on my next trip.

9. JUDD

JUDD Well-Known Member

I guessing the store is Curts gun shop....It's in Miffinville not to be confused with Mifflinburg...

I used to be a member of the range ur talkin bout but as much paper shootin as I don't do I dropped out...Benches are nice but the only thing I didn't care for is no backboards up to put up targets but definitly not bad for the cost.

When was you there? I usually go once or twice a week last time I was there he was pretty low on supplies.

10. Varmint Hunter

Yes - it was Curt's Gun Shop. I was there this past Friday. He had some Federal 205 Match primers and CCI BR 2 primers in stock. I bought a box of each. I was tempted to by a lot more, but resisted the temptation to do exactly what has caused this shortage in the first place. IMR powder had just been delivered and I saw a few bottles of Hodgdon that came in too.

Curt told me that they did have a problem with the steel frames getting shot up at the range. The current lack of backboards isn't a problem for me. I normally bring a lightweight portable anyway. I typically use a piece of corrugated plastic which is used for signs posted by realitors. The thin wire stand easily sticks in the ground anywhere. Actually, I usually carry several.

The nearby public range on SGL was shortened to 100yds and only has 3 target frames (@100) after the recent rebuild. It doesn't do much for me with the heavy varmint rigs I am usually shooting.