Primers and large Charges

c east

Shooting 109 grs of 870 in a Lapua mag.....I'm useing CCI BR Primers...Do I need to go with MAG primers?
Thanks

Find out what your gun says! Look at the ES, is it under 10-14. If not, try some 215s or other mag primers and see what the results are.

Every gun is a beast unto its own and you will not know until you try.

BH

Ceast

With the ball powder yes, I would go with the Federal 215 primer especially since your over 100 grs of powder.

Some people feel you don't need a mag primer till you get to 100 grs of powder or above.
I use a mag primer from 75grs and above in some rifles.

DC
Later
DC

This topic is of interest to me, because I'm working up some loads in my .338 RUM, and the velocity I'd expect just isn't there with WC872. I've put 103 grains of WC872 behind a 225 grain Hornady bullet, lit it off with a CCI 250 primer and I only get 2651 fps! This is in a Remington 26" factory barrel with a vais brake. The 103 grains is getting close to a compressed load. I have to shake it down pretty good to get it to the bottom of the neck.

Using 95 grains of WC852(s) with the same setup I get 3165 fps. No pressure signs with either load. What gives? Any ideas?

Mark in Utah

You are just running a powder with a pressure/burn rate more suitable to your rifle. Ths 872 was simply too slow for your bullet weight and bore length. If you were to switch to 300grMK, you would find the 872 to be a better powder.

That is why we test loads. You never what will be the magic combo. Going to do the same with my Mystic. Been using H4831SC which should be a great powder. However, vel and accuracy are not what it should be. Going to try H4350 to see if I can improve the performance.

Jerry

I use Federal Mag primers in all my reloads and they are far from Large loads.
I am talking 40gns of H380 behind a Hornady 87gnHptBt in .243 and 42gns of H4895 behind a Sierra 150 SptBt. in .308.

C east,
It depends. How are the CCI BR2 doing? Are you getting good velocity and low or consistent ES's? Is the accuracy you want there? If your current load is meeting all you expectations then I'd make it my "go-to" load for whatever you need it for.
On the other hand, try the mag primers and see what you can do with it. I've had some rifle/loads I couldn't get to perform like I really thought they should. One in particular was a heavy barreled .243 shooting the 87gn V-Max and H414. Swapped out the BR2 for 9.5M and voila. Same with a 700VS I had in .22-250. I used 9.5M behind 34.0gn of Varget and the 40gn NBT. Both of these loads went from 3/4 to sub 1/2".
I'm not saying a magnum primer is the cure-all, but it doesn't hurt to try different things. Don't forget to start low and work up. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.