Primer strike issue 700 Rem

DCGS, I used a set of wire drill shanks to find one that fit, then measured it. Then measured the pin and the drill shank with a micrometer.

I will compare springs too.

JE, Challenge accepted. I will run some through the Oehler 35 with both. That would be a good thing to know. If I learn a path to better and more consistant ES from this it will make it a worth while venture.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

It would be good Info with hard evidence like the chronograph.

Like you, If it works out to be true and not just the opinion of a great shooter (I never saw the
test results that proved it to be the case.

The Smith/BR shooter that told me the effects of light firing pins always said to me, "Don't believe
anything you hear and only half of what you see" So I have no doubt he believed it but proof would put it to bed.

Thanks

J E CUSTOM

Bear with me on this. I used to shoot NRA Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette matches in Missoula MT. I usually fared pretty good. One such match on the second day, I couldn't hit a bull in the butt if I was standing on his back, even the day before I did well. Mike Venturino whom many of you may know of from reading his books or articles came to me and said "Jeff, check your firing pin, I am betting it is broken". He explained to me that if the pin did not strike the primer with the same force the primer would ignite differently and would therefor ignite the powder charge differently affecting its burn and thereby changing the velocity and of course changing where the bullet impacts.
To make a long story short, I took my block apart, (this is on a 74 sharps) and my firing pin was indeed broken in half. Mike happen to have a new one, I put it in my rifle and things went back to normal. I am a firm believer that a firing pin that had light strikes will give you wide ES compared to a good hard strike.

My 1.5 cents worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.