primer seating question

That is exactly the problem. I had been running the drill for several revolutions and calling it good. On the few pockets that I measured after running the uniformer, they were probably deep enough. I rechecked a few and found some at .130 and some at .126. After running the uniformer and cleaning it several times, the .126 pockets came up to .130. When I seated the primers in the pockets with .130, I was able to get them recessed by .001 to .002 and the case did not stretch: they stayed at 1.900, which was my trim length.

I also tried a Lee and RCBS shell holder. The Lee is apparently a little sloppy and does not give the support of the RCBS. It was easier to get the primer seated with the RCBS than with the Lee.

Side note. SAAMI spec for LR is .125 min and .132 max. At the minimum it would be hard to seat the primer flush or slightly recessed without starting to crush the primer.

Thanks guys for all your input. I don't think I could have figured this out without your help.

All donations of gratitude to my account above $1000 are tax deductable :D

Re: primer seating question update

Update.
I ran the uniformer on several new cases and cleaned the uniformer several times during each case. I then tried to seat a Rem 9 1/2 primer and had to use extra force to get it to seat just below flush. ***?

Just for kicks and giggles, I measured a few of the Rem 9 1/2 primers. Guess what? They were .132" tall! How in the world are you supposed to seat them in a SAAMI spec pocket that is max at .132? No wonder I had a hard time getting them seated just below flush. I probably was slightly crushing the edge of the primer to get it to seat just below flush.

Just for more kicks and giggles, I measured some Rem 9 1/2Ms. They were .132 and .133!
Now for some Winchester LRs. They measured .126".
CCI 250s measured .128".
Fed 210s measured .126".

I did a google search and couldn't find any specs for the height of Rem 9 1/2 primers. I don't know if the batch I've got are defective or if they are just taller and have to be slightly crushed in order to seat them just below flush. I'm going to call Remington to see if I can get an answer.

Re: primer seating question update

Update.
I ran the uniformer on several new cases and cleaned the uniformer several times during each case. I then tried to seat a Rem 9 1/2 primer and had to use extra force to get it to seat just below flush. ***?

Just for kicks and giggles, I measured a few of the Rem 9 1/2 primers. Guess what? They were .132" tall! How in the world are you supposed to seat them in a SAAMI spec pocket that is max at .132? No wonder I had a hard time getting them seated just below flush. I probably was slightly crushing the edge of the primer to get it to seat just below flush.

Just for more kicks and giggles, I measured some Rem 9 1/2Ms. They were .132 and .133!
Now for some Winchester LRs. They measured .126".
CCI 250s measured .128".
Fed 210s measured .126".

I did a google search and couldn't find any specs for the height of Rem 9 1/2 primers. I don't know if the batch I've got are defective or if they are just taller and have to be slightly crushed in order to seat them just below flush. I'm going to call Remington to see if I can get an answer.

Remington primers are harder than others and in tight pockets they do need extra force. Remember the uniformer is not cutting any of the pocket diameter so that does not change .
When you measure a primer make sure it's the skirt of the primer . The Anvil sticks out a small amount but that is not part of the skirt depth. When you seat a primer properly the anvil is pushed in flush with the end of the skirt as they both push down flat on the base of the pocket .
The cup height for a Remington 9 1/2 should be about .119 so I think you are measuring the anvil also.
I think you only think you are crushing them and it's this fear that causes miss fires . You should be able to feel the primer sliding in and then stop. Then add some extra force to make sure it's right down.

had the same problem with norma 257 weatherby brass. turned out my uniformer is leaving a small burr at bottom of pocket after use. seems it's a few thousands smaller than primer pocket and pushing the burr up against side of primer pocket. I'm looking for a uniformer that will cut right up to edge of primer pocket now!

had the same problem with norma 257 weatherby brass. turned out my uniformer is leaving a small burr at bottom of pocket after use. seems it's a few thousands smaller than primer pocket and pushing the burr up against side of primer pocket. I'm looking for a uniformer that will cut right up to edge of primer pocket now!

It's a problem .
Check the cutter tips for damage as some people push the cutter too hard and fast and don't clean chips and it breaks the tips off the cutter . The more agressive the cutting angles are the more cutting force is on the cutting edges and the tips the weakest part . It's hard to have the perfect diameter cutter with primer pockets varying as they do. I find it's better to do the uniforming when the case is new .

Update.
I called Remington on Tuesday and the guy had to send an email to the ammo dept (he couldn't call and didn't have a phone number) and have them call me. They haven't called (image that), so I called again. Got a senior tech. He would only say that Rem manufactures within SAAMI specs. I could send the primers in and they would review them. He couldn't, or wouldn't, tell me what the SAAMI spec for primer height is. He also couldn't tell me if it was normal to have to slightly crush a primer which is .132" in a pocket which is .132" in order to get it slightly below flush with the case head.

I found the following page Primers And Primer Pocket Dimensions Photo by gsparesa | Photobucket that shows primer height as .123 to .132 for large rifle.

I'm disappointed in Remington's response and in their 9 1/2 primers. I'm going to try Winchester LR and Fed 210s. They are easier to seat and when the primer tool stops, then they are seated correctly and below flush with the case head.

switch brass..

I have to respectfully disagree. My Sinclair uniformer cuts to .128", so if the primer is .132", IT AIN'T GOING TO FIT! Plus your reloading book link disagrees with the SAAMI reference I found. I don't think that any other brass is going to be over .132, which is SAAMI spec, to allow the Rem primer to seat.

My Federal primers have a cup depth of .119 and my Remington 9 1/2 .121. Although they are hard to measure accurately .That is the cup depth not including the anvil sticking out .
A LR primer pocket needs to be .128 to .131 deep for a good fit.
Now you can't get a tight primer to seat fully to the flat part of the pocket because of the slight radius in the corner of the pocket . That is why the anvil feet are right to the outside edge . This might add .004 or more to the seating height . So if the primer has a cup of .119 and you add .004 = .123.
.131 full depth , minus .123 seating height = .008 below the case head .
If your primer pocket uniformer is not set at .128 to .131 then it is not right.
My Sinclare is set at .131 and I have no problems with Winchester LR , Federal 210 or Remington 9 1/2 primers .

My Federal primers have a cup depth of .119 and my Remington 9 1/2 .121. Although they are hard to measure accurately .That is the cup depth not including the anvil sticking out .
A LR primer pocket needs to be .128 to .131 deep for a good fit.
Now you can't get a tight primer to seat fully to the flat part of the pocket because of the slight radius in the corner of the pocket . That is why the anvil feet are right to the outside edge . This might add .004 or more to the seating height . So if the primer has a cup of .119 and you add .004 = .123.
.131 full depth , minus .123 seating height = .008 below the case head .
If your primer pocket uniformer is not set at .128 to .131 then it is not right.
My Sinclare is set at .131 and I have no problems with Winchester LR , Federal 210 or Remington 9 1/2 primers .

thank u bullet bumper.. dmax those dims are not SAAMI, they are manufacturer sizes. Read through bumper's post.. It suggests you need to look at your uniformers settings.. the SAAMI has tolerances as does the manufacturers so you're going to see a little variance from manufacturer to manufacturer (tightness and loseness). .004 below flush is about average (nominal) Recheck your equipment, try different products, don't dwell on hard numbers you'll drive yourself up a wall. good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.