Primer Question

I'm reloading 338 RUM brass trying to conjer up a 300gr LR hunting load.

I am prepping the brass as in the Precision Reloaders Guide.

Most loads I'm finding call for Federal 215M primers. I have standard 215 primers on hand and am having a heck of a time finding any 215 match primers for sale.

Question is; how much difference will the match primers make in my accuracy?

Thanks in advance!

That is a very hard question to answer!
You are the only one that can come up with the answer by testing the difference between the 2.
Personally,I have never found match grade primers to make all that much difference in large cases,but in small cases like the 22-250 and 22-250 AI,they can significantly shrink groups.
Although I do use them in my 300WinMag and 300WeatherbyMag,moreso because I 'feel' they make a difference.I haven't been able to prove one way or the other which is better,so I just use 'em anyway.
MagnumManiac
gun)

I'm reloading 338 RUM brass trying to conjer up a 300gr long range hunting load.

I am prepping the brass as in the Precision Reloaders Guide.

Most loads I'm finding call for Federal 215M primers. I have standard 215 primers on hand and am having a heck of a time finding any 215 match primers for sale.

Question is; how much difference will the match primers make in my accuracy?

Thanks in advance!

Son, look up my post on primers. It will give you the specific details of the variables in SD just from primers.. A friend of mine over on Benchrest Central, Law Dog, was just a test shooter for a new lot of Berger 185's and he used Russian ( Wolf) primers with ball powder---. Wold have about the lowest SD's going. Overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.