Primer question for 243 winchester/115 jlk/n165

Well, last week I tested a total of 25 rounds with the mag primer thru the chronograph. I started at 44.5/44.8/45/45.3/45.5 grains. The ES/SD were no where near acceptable. I will now try the large rifle primer. As far as accuracy goes, I only have a 2.5x10x40 leupold on this rifle so It's hard to say. It wasn't bad on some loads, under an inch wasn't a problem. I'm starting to wonder why the 243 Winchester seems to be such a pain in the a** for me to develop loads for. My 6 Dasher was very easy. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well, last week I tested a total of 25 rounds with the mag primer thru the chronograph. I started at 44.5/44.8/45/45.3/45 grains. The ES/SD were no where near acceptable. I will now try the large rifle primer. As far as accuracy goes, I only have a 2.5x10x40 leupold on this rifle so It's hard to say. It wasn't bad on some loads, under an inch wasn't a problem. I'm starting to wonder why the 243 Winchester seems to be such a pain in the a** for me to develop loads for. My 6 Dasher was very easy. :rolleyes:

What twist are you running in the 243 vs thr Dasher?

I would expect 115gr bullets to prefer at least 1:7.

Both are 8 twist Kriegers. I haven't shot any of the 115's in the Dasher. I have only used 105's. I know the 8 twist is probably not the ideal twist rate for 115 gr bullets.

Re: Primer questions for 243 winchester/115 jlk/n165

ok, thanks for the info...I thought it might be necessary to use them with the slow burning powders....I will just keep experimenting and see how they work out.

It is also my experience. I had SD as low as 4.8 with Fed215 primers. It is also true that it give you also a gain in velocity in certain loads. But it also could increase pressure - therefor all loads with magnum primers need to be worked up from the starting load.

Your approach may work out. But, it goes against the basics. When that succeeds, it's genius, otherwise, it's frustrating.

In a 243 with 1:8 barrel, I would try the 107 SMK with CCI BR2 or Fed 210M primers and H1000 or H4350 for consistency.

The extra BC of the 115 won't do much good if you can't get the consistency you need. I've been frustrated way too many times trying to shoot some particular bullet in a barrel the twist too slow. Do the math and run the numbers. But, it takes a lot of velocity to equal the RPM inflicted by that 1 inch tighter twist.

With the 243 I've found good loads for 105/107 gr bullets. I was hoping to find a load with the 115 gr bullet. I use the br2 primer and wolf lr primers with these.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.