Primer preference for Magpro?

twoftagl

Any Magpro users find a primer it seems to prefer? Application is 300wm, 26" barrel shooting 180-210 grn. Accubonds and VLDs. I'd like to use BR2s, but wondering if they will be reliable in the cold. Low teens, even colder if need be.

Chris

I use Magpro a lot but I always use WLR or WLRM primers.

Never had a problem with WLR's in the MN cold but the WLR is a pretty hot primer.

Love Magpro!

I use Magpro a lot but I always use WLR or WLRM primers.

Never had a problem with WLR's in the MN cold but the WLR is a pretty hot primer.

Love Magpro!
The Win is a good choice from what I'm told.
Stay the heck away from the Fed primers with this stuff; you'll get hang-fires. I threw my Magpro out because of this, then found out later from Sierra it was probably powder/ primer and a primer switch would have stopped the hang-fires. I still won't go back to Magpro. I like my Fed primers.

I have loaded Magpro in my 270 WSM and 7mm Rem mag using WLRM primers. I looked at the Accurate Arms Power web site and found some interesting things. They used a different primers for different loads, Fed 215 for 7mm SAUM, WLRM for 7mm WSM, WLRM for 300 WSM all with Magpro. So it must mean that different primers can be used with Magpro.

I have never experienced a hang fire with Magpro, but I do know that it seem to work best at or near Max loads.

Anyone else had a bad experience with the Federals and Magpro?

Magpro load data for 300wm uses the 215, maybe it was the powder???

Has anybody tried, or seen any issues with the CCI BR2 and Magpro? Wondering if it'll be good at cold temps. I may be the first to see how it works after I get done with the WLRMs...seems to be the going consensus

Chris

I know this is an old thread, but I recently got a good deal on 5# of unopened Magpro for less than $11 a pound.
Just wondering if anyone got any definitive answers as to adverse effects with Magpro and Federal primers?

I have a problem child 7 mag Sendero I'd like to try Magpro with 168 vld,
I also would like to try in 270 wsm with 150 vld ...

Any input on these specific loads, primer choice, or would like to share temp sensitivity findings are appreciated,
Thanks.

I know this is an old thread, but I recently got a good deal on 5# of unopened Magpro for less than $11 a pound.
Just wondering if anyone got any definitive answers as to adverse effects with Magpro and Federal primers?

I have a problem child 7 mag Sendero I'd like to try Magpro with 168 vld,
I also would like to try in 270 wsm with 150 vld ...

Any input on these specific loads, primer choice, or would like to share temp sensitivity findings are appreciated,
Thanks.
I'd go with Winchester primers

I load it in a 7wsm I did primer testing differently wlrm primer are the hottest sd was terrible federal was second best cci 250 was in my gun by far the best in every category. Never heard that about federal 215 no trouble in my rifle with 71 plus Grs.

I load it in a 7wsm I did primer testing differently wlrm primer are the hottest sd was terrible federal was second best cci 250 was in my gun by far the best in every category. Never heard that about federal 215 no trouble in my rifle with 71 plus Grs.

Thats kind of what I thought. Maybe those bad results with Magpro and Federal primers were just not the combo that those particular barrels preferred.

I used Magpro and WLRM in my 300WM the last winter and never had hang fire problems.

I have since switched to H1000/ RL-23/26 to try and minimize temperature variation issues. I also changed off of WLRM primers as they seemed to affect my SD/ES - I get better SD/ES results with CCI250 than I did with WLRM (Can't find Federal 215 to try yet)

This winter, I did have problem with hang fires when trying Sellior and Belliot LRM primers and RL26 and other powders in subfreezing weather. I believe the potential for cold weather hang fires is there depending on different primer/ powder combinations.

Had one delayed ingition with a lower charge of Magro and cci250 primers in my 270wsm and 150 vld this morning. Temperature was 18°.

No problems with the rounds that had higher case fill.

Last edited:
Ambient temp. Not heated. Because if im hunting my ammo will be in the cold magazine and chamber.

I'd rather know how a powder reacts at the range in real world conditions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts