Primer Fit

ShortMag3

I've recently run into problems installing Federal 215M primers into Nosler & Norma brass. I can easily install WLRM and CCI 250 but the Federals are so tight that some of them will deform and have to be removed.
Has anyone noticed this issue?
Is this a primer or brass variation???

I know we can open the primer pocket but at the cost of the brass I feel we should not have to do the extra prep.

Thanks

a primer pocket is usually .206 +/- in diameter on virgin brass what does yours measure? are you sure you are not encountering a more common problem of your primer pockets being too shallow? Try running a primer pocket uniformer in there if you havent already. If the pockets really are too narrow send them back I am sure they will replace them

I had the same problem with some Lapua 338 LM brass. The Federal 215M primers just didn't want to go in. I switched to another box of 215Ms and they worked. I'm guessing just a little over sized for the tight Lapua brass. I've got them saved back for loose primer pockets.

Might be nice to have some that run tight so when the pockets start to loosen, you can switch to the bigger ones and extend the brass a bit further.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.