Primer failure

I bought a 50 count box of nosler brass. Select, weighed, trimmed, and tapered at neck. Never have had a primer failure before this. They were installed by a Lyman primer tool and went in quite hard on each case. Had two failures on first 20 rounds. Never had a failure before loading once fired remington, wihchester, or federal brass. They were cci BR2 primers in the 243 nosler unfired brass.

I was having similar problems with my new rifle that I had built. During Load development the rifle functioned flawlesly. Then while out shooting I had a FTF and also a pierced primer. Took rifle in to have it gone over and everything appeared ok so thought it was an issue of overpressuring. Decreased the load but still had FTF's. When I took the rifle back in we had decided that a heavier spring might be needed. I had installed an aftermarket firing pin assembly already. When we went to change out the spring it was discovered that the existing spring was for a short action assembly. Installed new long action spring and problems have since gone away.

I had the same problem with some CCI 200 a few years ago. My brother and I had just bought 5000 each and we each had 6 or 7 misfires in the first 1000 rounds we fired. I have not purchased a CCI primer since. I have used up alot of CCI pistol primers since with no problems but just could not bring myself to buying CCI again.
I use nothing but Federal and Remington now and have never had a misfire.
I know CCI is a great company and I am not trying to knock them but I know others that have had the same problem.
I have went through over 30K Rems and Feds since the CCI mishap and have not seen a misfire.
I wondered if a bad batch comes along once in a while like anything else. Maybe they were made on a Friday!! LOL!
Who knows. If sure would be interesting to know the answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.